Coper in tank? Help please!

Deubie Doo

Gambusia
MFK Member
Mar 18, 2012
Rootstown, Ohio
www.facebook.com
I was using a 29g to help treat a grouper with ick, so I only filled the tank half way and I used a treatment with coper in it. A week passed and the grouper was good to go. So I sucked the water out with a gravel vacuum and rinsed the sponge filter out and filled it up with new water and I would like to put a lobster in it. Would their still maybe coper in the tank? I couldn't fully pull the tank out because it's in the stand of my 55 reef. I couldn't get any test strips for coper. Am I safe?

Oddball

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MFK Member
Apr 27, 2005
Bama
Seachem Labs makes a product called Cuprisorb that's best for removing copper from aquariums. However, sounds like you don't have more than trace levels in your tank. Placing a couple of handfuls of filter carbon in a mesh bag or Chemi-pure will remove the copper enough to be safe for inverts.

You don't mention if the tank has any substrate or rock in it. If it does, remove all rock and substrate and replace with new. The porous nature of marine rock allows alot of copper to become absorbed into it.

Deubie Doo

Gambusia
MFK Member
Mar 18, 2012
Rootstown, Ohio
www.facebook.com
Seachem Labs makes a product called Cuprisorb that's best for removing copper from aquariums. However, sounds like you don't have more than trace levels in your tank. Placing a couple of handfuls of filter carbon in a mesh bag or Chemi-pure will remove the copper enough to be safe for inverts.

You don't mention if the tank has any substrate or rock in it. If it does, remove all rock and substrate and replace with new. The porous nature of marine rock allows alot of copper to become absorbed into it.
i was told the carbin will work. And no substraght, just a PVC pipe that I washed and scrubbed off under water.

Otherone

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 2, 2009
Lancaster,PA USA
they do make cooper test kits for saltwater - this will give you an idea of what amounts of cooper still remain and when your invert safe

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store