dats and discus

pshtex

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Nov 8, 2010
united states
so i am thinking of throughing in some discus with my dats, to help bring the dats to the front and out of hiding in the drift wood.

MANGCH1

Candiru
MFK Member
Nov 25, 2005
???
I have a discus with my ngt. had the pair for about 2 weeks now. I can't comment on them bringing the datnoids out tho since my ngt is pretty active to begin with. I got the discus with the intention of getting the dat to eat what the discus eats.

slippery slimecoat

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jan 26, 2012
New York
You might be ok for the short term, but in the long run you will most likely have stressed and possibly dead discus. There's a lot of options for dithers that will be more suitable imo. Silver dollars, tiger barbs, and geophagus cichlids to name just a few.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

JayC74

Piranha
MFK Member
Apr 9, 2012
Massachusetts, USA
Removing the driftwood may help with them hiding less...All the dats are hiding? Is there anything in the tank that could be making them hide?

pshtex

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Nov 8, 2010
united states
i used to have some triportheus elongatus in with them but they killed themselves little by little. two lodged themselves in some plant matter i had above the water and they died and then while moving them to another tank the other two jumped out when i was removing drift wood and the dogs where in the room with me and jumped on the fish fast. I found those one by chance in a lfs. the guy said he has never had them in before and they just came in one day with am order. The dats where out when the other fish where there. i don't want bala sharks or tinfoil barbs. if i must i will put up with silver dollars but was thinking at trying some discus.

JayC74

Piranha
MFK Member
Apr 9, 2012
Massachusetts, USA
I agree other fish species can help with IT shyness, but I agree with the others that dats & discus don't mix..it will turn bad one day for the discus, no doubt..get something a little tougher, but not to tough to intimidate the dat..kind of a fine line.lol

MANGCH1

Candiru
MFK Member
Nov 25, 2005
???
as I said I have a discus with my datnoid. the discus is like half a inch longer then the dat. they get along fine. dat doesn't even notice the discus. he just wants more guppies. I also have 7 clown loaches 3 Mollie's and 3 dwarf pikes. but I have about 30 anubius plants with driftwood in a bare bottom tank.

pshtex

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Nov 8, 2010
united states
well every thing worked out. this week i found some more triportheus elongatus, got 5, and i found some flag tails, got 2.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store