125 gal, 6 foot long tank LED recommendation.

cdrake261

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Nov 27, 2013
Nashville, IN
I'm looking for some recommendation for lighting up my 125gal tank(Maybe my 55 gal as well), I have african cichlids in the big one and tiger barbs/clown loach in the smaller one. I like my tanks to be well lit and even, bright enough to grow plants(In 55 gal tank) and really want to bring the colors out in my fishes. Any ideas?

ragin_cajun

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2013
South Louisiana
I have 2 36 inch Finnex Ray 2 fixtures. I think everybody else uses Beamworks or Current USA Satellite. Finnex I have are WAY too much light for my tank, so I just use them very occassionally for viewing. Leave 'em on a few hours a day, and I get a lot of algae. I have lots of fish in a 125 Gallon, no C02, not enough plants, etc. The problem with Finnex is there's no real slick way to hang em. Mine just sit on the tank lid. They also don't have a controller that lets you set different colors. I think Sat USA's do. Mine have the dual 7000K LED strips. They're just plain white light. Very bright.

cdrake261

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Nov 27, 2013
Nashville, IN
I have 2 36 inch Finnex Ray 2 fixtures. I think everybody else uses Beamworks or Current USA Satellite. Finnex I have are WAY too much light for my tank, so I just use them very occassionally for viewing. Leave 'em on a few hours a day, and I get a lot of algae. I have lots of fish in a 125 Gallon, no C02, not enough plants, etc. The problem with Finnex is there's no real slick way to hang em. Mine just sit on the tank lid. They also don't have a controller that lets you set different colors. I think Sat USA's do. Mine have the dual 7000K LED strips. They're just plain white light. Very bright.
I saw those and I saw the planted+(with red)...is there a way to put 3 24" fixture end on end or do you have to stagger them?

bbortko

Polypterus
MFK Member
Mar 3, 2010
Northwest, Indiana
A 48" sat+ lit up my 125 pretty good. If I was looking for a 6' fixture id go to buildmyled.com.

bbortko

Polypterus
MFK Member
Mar 3, 2010
Northwest, Indiana
$500 for a fixture is steep
Fish only is $389 and you're getting a vastly superior fixture the will be built for your specific needs.

cdrake261

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Nov 27, 2013
Nashville, IN
Should I go with dual 7000k or the 10000k/actinic to bring out my colors?

CClump

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 5, 2010
West Seattle
I got two current 48" sat+ lights on my 6' 150 and LOVE THEM they were I think
$120 or $125 each. Fully adjustable light w remotes and preset/programmables.
I believe I got them from Kens fish,
Sent from my HTCONE using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

ChrisM101

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 5, 2014
Paris, AR,United States
Just fyi a single current satellite + at 48 inches is barely enough. Keeps the ends kinda dark. Id do two if you go that route. I have mine hanging above and I think my plants arent doing the best.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store