UV sterilizers and protein snipers

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
A properly functioning protein skimmer removes the invisible stuff that is too small for a filter get. It removes dissolved organic carbon, free floating algae, dissolved metals, and even some parasites.
Here is a photo of some of the stuff removed after the water passes through the mechanical and bio filter of my koi pond.

I also use Protein Skimmers on my freshwater tanks in the house.
The plastic bag toward the left, is used to catch the waste from the PS

mine are also functioning as biofilters, because I use water cascading over lava rock media to create the tension at the air water interface, which causes the foaming.

below is a video of the pond foam fractionation in action, on the pond I allow waste foam to dribble on to the ground, click on pic below to start video

administrator

Gambusia
MFK Member
Aug 21, 2011
A properly functioning protein skimmer removes the invisible stuff that is too small for a filter get. It removes dissolved organic carbon, free floating algae, dissolved metals, and even some parasites.
Here is a photo of some of the stuff removed after the water passes through the mechanical and bio filter of my koi pond.

I also use Protein Skimmers on my freshwater tanks in the house.
The plastic bag toward the left, is used to catch the waste from the PS

mine are also functioning as biofilters, because I use water cascading over lava rock media to create the tension at the air water interface, which causes the foaming.

below is a video of the pond foam fractionation in action, on the pond I allow waste foam to dribble on to the ground, click on pic below to start video
Nice setup. Do you mind if I ask where you got the clear PVC from. Thanks.

Zoodiver

As seen on TV
MFK Member
Aug 22, 2005
South FL
A proper pt. skimmer (on a marine tank) will be a huge part of pulling dissolved solids out of the water. They also play a huge role in gas exchange (removing CO2, allowing O2 to be put back in). It keeps your dissolved oxygen level up for the fish, and helps maintain a stable pH. You can also use it to inject O3 (ozone in gas form) as a sterilizing agent (works well on larger systems).

UV (for either FW or SW) can be set up three ways (trying to keep it simple).

Clarifier: It will help kill algae and keep your water column clear.

Sterilizer: When run at higher levels, it will not only kill algae, but also bacteria and many parasites (depending on wattage and exposure time.

Wrong: Sadly, this is the type of installation that usually happens. People assume they need to run as much water as possible past the bulb. UV is exposure based, so the slower the flow (more contact the light makes), the better it works. Proper size of bulb and proper flow BOTH need to happen to reach your target goal (whether that be as a clarifier or sterilizer).

rodger

Polypterus
MFK Member
Apr 29, 2008
Kansas City
Duanes, that was a very interesting video. So water cascades through the lava rock as a W/D, and foams up at the bottom to some extent, and is skimmed off at the wye? I take it you have to re-tune the ball valve at the outlet regularly so you don't dump water out the wye, or have the foam pass the wye?

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
As the biomedia or mechanical media gets plugged/gunks up, slight adjustments need to be made to flow with a ball valve, and occasionally, I dump the lava rock and rinse it off. If flow is too high, water can overflow the Tee in the horizontal pipe, or if flow is too slow the foam will bypass back into the pond. As with any sort of filtration, maintenance is required.
As far as clear PVC, in Milwaukee I get it from Modular Piping Supply, but I would go with standard PVC if making another. The clear pipe is expensive, and sunlight can create algal growth in the clear vertical pipe, causing need for extra cleaning. I used it at first, because I wanted to see the action, but that in the end, not really needed.
If I made another, I'd also make it taller for a better cascading action.
I saw one made for a large pond on youtube that was taller than a garage, and the foam was incredible.
A few years back, I did experiments in the lab, weighing dessicated skim waste, and also compared microbiologic life compared to life in tank water.
The dessicated foam was 8-10 times heavier than weight of dry solids dessicated from straight tank water.
And bacterial/protozoa counts were somewhat in the same ballpark.

above skim waste left, tank water on right.
Below, skim waste was too thick for the micron filter, so dilution of the skim waste, and extrapolation was used to determine end weight.

dessication process below

Duanes, that was a very interesting video. So water cascades through the lava rock as a W/D, and foams up at the bottom to some extent, and is skimmed off at the wye? I take it you have to re-tune the ball valve at the outlet regularly so you don't dump water out the wye, or have the foam pass the wye?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store