Moving ray tank from house to house

davenmandy

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Feb 1, 2012
Hi guys,

I'm going to be moving to a new house within the next 2-3 months. I have a 400 gal with 3 leo rays in it, no other stock. The stand is solid lumber that will require disassembly and assembly. I was wondering if you guys had any suggestions to safely move the fish over a prolonged period of time? Here is my game plan:

Empty as much of the water into totes as possible. Hoping to save 100-150 gallons in totes, each ray will have its own separate tote with an air stone running in it. Should I leave them in the main tank as long as possible or take em out right away? Anyway, drain tank entirely, take down plumbing, move the tank, dissasemble stand, move it all, drain sump right before moving it to go to the new place. I was then going to load the sump to my new place first, put some water from the totes into it to keep bio bacteria alive, and start running the fx5 I already have running on it again asap. Then I was going to assemble the stand, and after that I'm not sure what direction to take. Should I empty the remaining water and rays into the tank and then redo the plumbing and fill? Or should I put the water and rays in the tank, fill almost to the point of overflow and stop it while I complete the plumbing? Or should I keep the rays in the totes while doing the plumbing?

Tbh quite nervous about the move, this will be a 6-8 hour job altogether I guess. Should I ask a LFS or friend to simply hold the fish for me for a week or so to eliminate the time constraint and just let the tank cycle and reintroduce? Anyone have any other tips for doing this effectively, maybe not feed the day before? Things tend to come up when you're moving, pressure situation, number one concern is for the safety of the fish. Any extra materials to have on hand anyone would recommend, or any dosages of prime/safe or anything I should consider adding? Just looking for general tips, thanks in advance.

Ade

Piranha
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2008
London
Hello
It's quite stressfull moving tank and fish when know moving house.
To make it easier.. You need lots of people friends.. say 5 mates plus yourself and heavy duty dolly trolleys to move tank and heavy stuff.A pump to transfer water into container. And poly box for fish.

You can do it in one day . Can take 8 to 10 hrs.
Get a koi vat and use good cycled media put it in your fx5 to keep rays going temporarily. As long as not being fed for 4 to 5 days... It will be ok for a while

Move stand and tank and sump first Assemble at New place. Bring water too. Assemble sump media etc and pipework . Then refill Chuck in loads of heaters. As tank warms up
go back to get fish and fx5.

No feeding fish for 4 days before move. And buy a bottle of seacham stability for when you fill up tank in New location
Good luck

Always have a plan B. So warn a friend or LFS that your moving tanks.. and if something unexpexted happens.. You can dump your 3 rays to the shop

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

davenmandy

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Feb 1, 2012
Thanks for the advice. Tank is acrylic, so 2 people can move it. But absolutely, there will be 6 strong guys there. I am hoping at least one of my contractor friends can make it out because he could take apart and put together the stand himself with his eyes closed real quick, that is where I see my biggest issue tbh (not that I am not handy, but to take it apart preserving the screws as I cant remember what size they were and to put it together FAST and at the same time make it structurally stable will be a bit of pressure on these shoulders). I'll have a uhaul so I can move everything at once. Is everyone confident my rays will survive in a tote with an air pump for 8-10 hours? Also, how do I regulate temperature without putting a heater in the tote so as not to risk burning the ray?

Mr. Allgood

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 16, 2012
Iowa
I would buy a cheap plastic tub, trough, pond liner, swimming pool or even a 6ft aquarium and set it up at the new place with bio filtration and heater to house the rays until their tank is properly reassembled

Ade

Piranha
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2008
London
Allgood is right..
How big a tote anyways??

When I moved... I purchased a koi vat 4x2x2
Cost about $150 when converted from £.
Never know.... If somethjng unexpected happens they can stay in it for days or even. weeks.
Just feed lightly every 3 days

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

T1KARMANN

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Sep 19, 2005
London UK
One thing I would say if you didn't mention it starve the rays for 2-3 days before the move

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

davenmandy

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Feb 1, 2012
I think I have a few 50 gallon totes I was going to use. I would set up some sort of temporary pond but I am just slightly worried that a) I'll find a ray that jumped ship next morning, and b) I won't be able to cycle it properly in time before I need to move, how would you suggest I bio-filter and cycle it considering I wont be at both places every day? I don't want their temporary home to stress them out like crazy either. Ideally I would like to move the tank in one day with the fish, but if thats a bit too risky then I will do it this way.

T1KARMANN

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Sep 19, 2005
London UK
Use a product called seachem stability I used that when I moved the rays from a 350 to 1000 no cycling and it worked great

davenmandy

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Feb 1, 2012
Also, if i do just move the setups without setting up a new one, what the best way to prevent the tank from cycling considering I have to drain the sump to move it? My guess is pour a tote of water in there right away and start an fx5 on it that's been there for a while, but thats not going to get water onto the sponges that aren't submerged.

Sent from my Z10 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

T1KARMANN

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Sep 19, 2005
London UK
Just clean the sponges out
Put all the bio media in a big drum with a air pump and water that will keep it alive

It's the moving the tank and the fish that's the hard part getting it running again isn't that bad as you know your system better than any of us

I hope it all goes well for you

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store