New Blood Parrot Stressed

bloodlucky

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jul 23, 2014
New York
I recently started up my new 40 gallon tank and dosed the appropriate amount of SafeStart by Tetra, as instructed. I decided to do a fish in cycle and get one juvenile blood parrot, as I hear they are quite hardy. I decided I would do water changes every week and dose more TetraSafe with each water change, and since only one small fish is by himself in a 40 gallon tank, NTS shouldn't hit him too hard. Well I don't know what it is, but something is getting to his behavior. At first when I introduced him yesterday after slow acclimation he explored his pretty empty (for now) open tank. He was always a bit skittish and afraid but after about an hour he found his favorite spot by the heater. He didn't leave the heater at all for the rest of the night and would sometimes hover vertically to fit in between the edge of the tank and the heater. Then at midnight last night I found him lying by his side and not moving his fins, and I thought he was done. Today I woke up to see him hiding behind a rock, looking better than last night. I have dealt with NTS before, when I was less experienced, and I noted that most fish don't "recover" from NTS unless I do a lot of water changes, but I didn't do anything to the water yet because it's only been a few hours since he was introduce in the tank and ammonia can't possibly be that high. I found him lying on his side once for a short period of time but for the rest of the day he's been hanging around near the heater again, sometimes keeping himself vertical so he can fit between the glass and the heater like yesterday. I fed him twice and he ignored the food. IMO he's just very stressed and scared, but my main concern is his food. If he continues to act this stressed eventually he will actually become in critical condition from lack of food intake. I bought a flower pot for him today but he hasn't touched it, he really seems to like the heater, which is strange because all of the water is the same temperature (81F.) I don't know what to do really, someone told me here that I shouldn't be doing pwc while dosing SafeStart even during fish-in cycle. I guess I'll measure water quality later today and make sure but there really can't be any spikes. It's been only 24 hours and he's by himself in a huge tank. He really needs to eat. I fed him pellets too but I still see them, he hasn't touched them.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Crazy mike

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Sep 22, 2012
Vacaville,California
Not eating for a day or two won't kill it, heck 4-5 days shouldn't kill. Just let it acclimate and get settled and it will eat. I'd give it something to either hide in or more options in addition to the flowerpot

Sent from my iPod touch using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

bloodlucky

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jul 23, 2014
New York
Not eating for a day or two won't kill it, heck 4-5 days shouldn't kill. Just let it acclimate and get settled and it will eat. I'd give it something to either hide in or more options in addition to the flowerpot

Thanks mike! I looked at various pet stores, they didn't have many "organic" options, like real wood or rocks. The fake ones were extremely fake looking and very expensive. Do you recommend anything in particular? I'm all ears

bloodlucky

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jul 23, 2014
New York
Petco has fairly cheap rocks and pieces of wood not the largest pieces but decent sized. That's what the decor of my 90 is
View attachment 1030911

They don't sell them nearly that big. Just pieces so small you can't really make use out of them, besides putting them with something larger. Good news though. The parrot loves the pot, he's inside of it and not sitting but is using his fins and keeping himself levitated. He really seems to like pressing himself against vertical sides and hovering sideways against a vertical surface, as now he is doing inside the pot wall. Just a question, do you think I should be doing water changes this week while eating for the SafeStart to kick in? Thanks. I figure if the ammonia or nitrite reading gets past .25ppm I'll immediately start doing daily pwc

bloodlucky

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jul 23, 2014
New York
Good news he seems to really like his flower pot now. He's no longer swimming lopsided in it he's very normal now and swimming in it. He is very shy though so I had to sink some bloodworms and put it in his pot

NeonFlux

Candiru
MFK Member
Mar 11, 2010
Los Angeles
Good to hear your new BRP is feeling better, Luck.

I went through the same thing, they are just little shock-stressed out at first and shy initially after transportation, netting, new water, temps.. eventually they'll come out once they feel comfortable, and looks like yours is already feeling pretty darn good. :) May that BRP live a long awesome life and bring ya good luck.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store