How do I livestream an aquarium?

timetraveler22

Black Skirt Tetra
MFK Member
Aug 10, 2014
Miami
I'm going back to highschool next week for my senior year, and I will get back to the normal anxiety or paranoia that something is going to happen to my aquariums while I'm at school. On the reddit's aquarium page you occasionally find someone who sets up a live stream for their aquarium. I thought that this was a pretty cool idea. Most of the times though, they are not in the actual tank. Which disappoints me. Then I found out you can livestream using a gopro or other action cameras. That way, I can setup a gopro INSIDE one of my tanks, and then view it on my macbook, although it does have a massive delay, I'm not complaining. But I'm also paranoid of bringing my macbook to school(or is that just being smart). So, I've been searching for way to live stream on the internet like twitch so I don't have to bring my computer anywhere, but no results. Does anyone here do the same thing? Can you explain to me how you did it? I know this isn't hammers and nails I'm asking, but I couldn't find another subforum.:confused:

noside

Gambusia
MFK Member
Mar 6, 2014
NJ
get yourself a Uniden G755 wireless security camera setup from amazon. Its cheaper then a go pro you won't be able to monitor from inside the tank but you can set up a cam outside the tank and stream it via Unidens App to any android / IOS device or view through your web browser. The delay is minimal when running over a cellular network maybe 3-5 seconds but play back is relatively smooth.

Its not HD but its clear enough that you can see if someone is floating, tank is clouding up, water level going low etc.

I don't use my setup for checking on tanks but I do have the cameras setup for there intended purpose all around my house.

Pharaoh

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MFK Member
Feb 18, 2008
Indianapolis
I would suggest you deal with it and focus on learning. Getting a good education is much more important that being distracted by hobbies. Your tanks will be fine while you are at gone.

slippery slimecoat

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jan 26, 2012
New York
I agree with Pharaoh. Also, if you're worried about issues with your tank, perhaps your money would be better spent on making it more fail-safe by using that money toward extra filtration or even an auto drip. Other than sleeping I'm only home about 2 hours a day, and my tank has been fine for years.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
The problem with GoPro (and I have one, and love it) is that the battery has a very short life before needing to be charged, you would need to have an external power source impervious to water running to the camera to keep it going. I am not aware of one available in quite that way at the moment.
And I agree with the above, I spend only 2-3 hours per day with my 20 tanks, and they do just fine, I also leave them for a week to 10 days when I travel.

timetraveler22

Black Skirt Tetra
MFK Member
Aug 10, 2014
Miami
Thank you for the advice! My priority is my education, but I still love my fish like they're my children; but I'm the guy that has the worst "**** happens" moments at the wrong time. Right now, my blenny has ich, and I don't have the money or space for a quarantine and I can't get $30.00 of kickich right now either. Past times, I've left the house for a week and the a/c broke, in the heat of a Floridian summer, All my corals, died and my dartfish jumped out. It might just be paranoia, but I feel like I need an aquarium baby monitor and if anything happens, call someone to ease up the problem, so I might be able to fix it. But it might just be paranoia

sevank21

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jan 25, 2012
In My House
You need to put the money into a set up you know you can trust rather than a camera set up. Think of every possible thing that can go wrong and fix it/improve it.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store