Snail problem

Jobu28

Piranha
MFK Member
Jan 26, 2013
NC
I am having a problem with snails taking over my sump. Worried about them clogging my pumps. Any ideas to eradicating them in a ray tank? Obviously no copper so any ideas?

jim barry

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jun 21, 2006
U.K
That's a tough one. I had the same problem in an old set up. Ended up stripping it down to remove the snails from the sump. I was a novice back then and a bit of an idiot, i actually thought it would be beneficial to put a few snails in the sump to help clear up crap in there. Got over run with them with in a year and stripped the sump and emptied everything out. Then got clown loaches for the main tank and never saw snails again. Good luck

Jobu28

Piranha
MFK Member
Jan 26, 2013
NC
I don't have any in the main tank, not sure if they're being eaten or not but tons in the sump?

gorak

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Dec 9, 2013
mn
My rays eat snails. Likely yours are eating them also. I pull mine out of my sump and put them in the main tank. They get eaten as without complete overhaul and removal they are not going anywhere.

MEDHBSI

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Sep 4, 2011
Coquitlam BC
I'm sure if you google snail traps there is likely something you can build that they can go in but not come out. Or put some clown loaches in your sump

soupa2

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jul 18, 2007
cyn
I have tons of them in my sump and babies in main tank.. I only see big ones in the sump areas and not the main tank so I think my rays r eating them. I'm not that worries about them distroying my pump since I have a spare one ready to be replaced in case something does happen.. not sure what's the disadvantage of them in my setup though so I leave them alone. When I change my filter socks I see big ones in there and I usually pick out the big ones and throw them back into the sump. Most of them,the largest ones are about 3/8-1/4" big...
So what's the disadvantage of snail? Beside not good for pump?

Sent from my HTC VLE_U using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

jim barry

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jun 21, 2006
U.K
I would imagine the disatvantage is more waste being produced by the snails?
I have tons of them in my sump and babies in main tank.. I only see big ones in the sump areas and not the main tank so I think my rays r eating them. I'm not that worries about them distroying my pump since I have a spare one ready to be replaced in case something does happen.. not sure what's the disadvantage of them in my setup though so I leave them alone. When I change my filter socks I see big ones in there and I usually pick out the big ones and throw them back into the sump. Most of them,the largest ones are about 3/8-1/4" big...
So what's the disadvantage of snail? Beside not good for pump?

Sent from my HTC VLE_U using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Tor-Eriik

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 3, 2010
Norway
If there is waste, they probably ate something that would have rotten in there anyways. I dont see any disadvantage in snails. I use malaysia sand snales. i use them for eating the food that gets in the filter, better then rotting.

noside

Gambusia
MFK Member
Mar 6, 2014
NJ
If there is waste, they probably ate something that would have rotten in there anyways. I dont see any disadvantage in snails. I use malaysia sand snales. i use them for eating the food that gets in the filter, better then rotting.
The biggest disadvantage to snails in sump IMO is having them die and decay going unnoticed.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store