most economical heaters?

Yoimbrian

Dovii
MFK Member
Feb 11, 2013
Twin cities
Economical to buy or operate?

Depends on wattage, there are plenty of wattage estimators out there. You can also hook up to natural gas can save money depending on area

Need. More. Information.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Drstrangelove

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Oct 21, 2012
San Francisco
Just some ideas to consider:

1) What fish are you keeping? That will tell us what temperature the tank needs to be.

2) What ambient temperature will you keep in the room where you keep the tank? That will tell us how much (if any) additional heat is needed.

3) What is the cost of electricity (in kwh is fine) and the cost of natural gas (in therms should be fine) where you live?

4) Do you already have a spot for the tank or are you going to build a place? If so, does it already have heat? If so, what kind of heat is it? (e.g., space heaters, hot water pipes, central air)

5) If you are going to build a place, will it be part of the house or separate?

Xia

Exodon
MFK Member
Aug 13, 2014
New York
i used to rely on multiple heaters instead of one heater if that helps. if you have the space around your tank i bought some sheets of insulation foam, and just cut pieces to fit the sides and back of the tank and taped it. this helps the tank keep its warmth somewhat. better than exposed to cold air, my tanks are in my basement so anything that helps is needed.

chopsteeks

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jun 2, 2013
Denver
i used to rely on multiple heaters instead of one heater if that helps. if you have the space around your tank i bought some sheets of insulation foam, and just cut pieces to fit the sides and back of the tank and taped it. this helps the tank keep its warmth somewhat. better than exposed to cold air, my tanks are in my basement so anything that helps is needed.
I have been thinking of doing the same before winter kicks in. My tanks are in the basement, though the furnace is down there, the basement is quite spacious and very open.

Did if you notice significant ? Little ? Savings ?

Thanks.

mudbuttjones

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jul 29, 2014
Wisconsin
I have a 29g in my basement with cichlid fry in it. The basement gets cold in my building. Sometimes as cold as 50*f. I insulated the bottom and all the sides except the front. It had a tight fitting plastic top also. The 100w heater went from being on non stop to what I would consider a normal amount

chopsteeks

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jun 2, 2013
Denver
I have a 29g in my basement with cichlid fry in it. The basement gets cold in my building. Sometimes as cold as 50*f. I insulated the bottom and all the sides except the front. It had a tight fitting plastic top also. The 100w heater went from being on non stop to what I would consider a normal amount
Thanks...

I have 3 125 gallons, 3 75 gallons in the basement. Like you, heaters were on all the time during the winter. Electricity bill doubles during the winter months...

Will look into doing this before winter sets in...

waynes world

Candiru
MFK Member
Oct 12, 2010
North Manchester UK
Just some ideas to consider:

1) What fish are you keeping? That will tell us what temperature the tank needs to be.

2) What ambient temperature will you keep in the room where you keep the tank? That will tell us how much (if any) additional heat is needed.

3) What is the cost of electricity (in kwh is fine) and the cost of natural gas (in therms should be fine) where you live?

4) Do you already have a spot for the tank or are you going to build a place? If so, does it already have heat? If so, what kind of heat is it? (e.g., space heaters, hot water pipes, central air)

5) If you are going to build a place, will it be part of the house or separate?
Thanks for the reply to answer

1: Not to sure as i change my mind lol, for now Arowana, Paecock Bass, L numbers etc, but i also love small community fish and big shoals, i am doing a 550l (110g) now on this. so temps will be around 27deg.
2: Not built the room yet, but i can fit heating in if needed, radiator maybe.
3: I live in the UK elecy is 16.5 pence per KWh first 240KWh, then 14.6 pence KWh therafter. I need to look for the gas as all the info is on a gadget we have at home, just trying to work out where the gas is for a price.
4 and 5: see this link, it an extension on the house, just 2 windows and all the rest will be fully insulated with 4inch in the roof and 2 inch around the tank aswell as the tank room walls.

This link will give a 3D look at it aswell :)

https://3dwarehouse.sketchup.com/model.html?id=uf9049473-4e9f-4ab1-b0f1-385b289700f6

The viewing area will not be heated much, well all the time, only really when we use it, which will not be late at night, the idea to help keep the heat in when we are not there will be to have insulation boards to put up against the 2 glass viewing windows.

Anymore info you need please ask away

cheers

wayne

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store