New blood parrot very scared

bloodlucky

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jul 23, 2014
New York
I just got a blood parrot for my 40 gal, he's by himself and if you looked at my last posts he nearly died from stress. It's not NTS, as he's by himself and I've been adding BB, and he was showing huge signs of stress within the hour of introducing him into the tank. The next day I bought him a flower pot, and I seriously think it's why he's still alive, and thriving at that. The only problem is that he's very very afraid. I had a funny encounter today, though. I put some cichlid pellets at the entrance of his flower pot (he was deep inside it) and took a nap on my bed. When I woke up, I saw him poking his head out of the pot and looking right at me. The food was all gone. As soon as I moved to stretch he immediately ran straight towards his pot. But since around yesterday night whenever I wasn't looking, I see him swimming and exploring the tank everywhere, until he sees me, in which case he immediately either retreats into his pot or plays "stressed" near his second favorite spot by the heater. So at least I got him to eat, but I'm wondering if it will always be this hard for him to even be comfortable for him to be around me, and if it's possible, what I could do to "train" him. Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

brich999

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 3, 2010
New Hampshire
You have had the tank and fish for a couple days. It takes time for the tank to cycle and for him to settle into his new home. Until those 2 things happen he will likely hide a lot and not eat too much

bloodlucky

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jul 23, 2014
New York
You have had the tank and fish for a couple days. It takes time for the tank to cycle and for him to settle into his new home. Until those 2 things happen he will likely hide a lot and not eat too much
He's been eating alright actually. Way more comfortable about eating than swimming around. He now darts out of pot, grabs the food then darts back in. The question is how I can make him comfortable around humans

brich999

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 3, 2010
New Hampshire
Time. If you have had him more thsn a few months and still hiding often then there are things you can do but just give him time and he will likely become less shy

poppalina

Gambusia
MFK Member
Sep 26, 2010
Boston
Give him/her time to settle down and spend time in front of the tank while doing other things and let him get used to you, I don't think parrots in general are very personable.

bloodlucky

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jul 23, 2014
New York
Give him/her time to settle down and spend time in front of the tank while doing other things and let him get used to you, I don't think parrots in general are very personable.
I completely agree, I always laugh whenever I see his face slowly pop out of his flower pot, glance nervously at me and immediately retreat back into his cave.

tanyaelec11

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Nov 4, 2012
canada
are you higher than the tank. Fish often at first think you are a predator when you come walking up above them. Try to be lower at first and no sudden movements. You will have to be patient since shy fish can be startled very easily. But eventually your parrot will get used to you. It will also eventually recognize you as a food source.

bloodlucky

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jul 23, 2014
New York
are you higher than the tank. Fish often at first think you are a predator when you come walking up above them. Try to be lower at first and no sudden movements. You will have to be patient since shy fish can be startled very easily. But eventually your parrot will get used to you. It will also eventually recognize you as a food source.
Yes I am 6 feet all he sees are my pants probably lol. But I do crouch down and look at him. I think it freaks him out more, but yeah maybe he'll recognize me. Do you think he can distinguish my face from other peoples in the house? Maybe thts a bit too much lol

Ponera

Candiru
MFK Member
Nov 2, 2012
Calgary, Alberta
I am not sure how aggressive this species is, but I know that some fish are fairly timid until you put some dithers in. Then all they wanna do is swim around and chase the smaller fish. That's how my Geo is, he literally doesn't come out of his mansion except to chase the kids off his lawn.

Glad you got the blood parrot, give him time he'll warm up to you I'm sure.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store