Algae outbreak / Water chemistry ?

master.k.

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Mar 22, 2006
Clinton Twp , MI
PROBLEM : Algae break out .

REASON I BELIEVE THIS IS HAPPENING : Because I have been changing water 50% every other day to keep Nitrates in check on a Heavily Stocked 180gallon , heavily filtered , Heavy Oxygenated with plenty of water movement Aquatic set up .

THINGS IM DOING DIFFERENT WITH IN THE LAST MONTH : Overstocking my tank , Keeping my Nitrate 20ppm and below , switched out stock from African cichlids (Witch eat alga) To Piranha (They don't eat the alga ) , Changing water every other day .

ALSO NOTE : My nitrates have never been ran this LOW the set up hase been up and running for almost two years Usauly they are around 50ppm

KiZZLe

Gambusia
MFK Member
Nov 3, 2008
USA
PROBLEM : Algae break out .

REASON I BELIEVE THIS IS HAPPENING : Because I have been changing water 50% every other day to keep Nitrates in check on a Heavily Stocked 180gallon , heavily filtered , Heavy Oxygenated with plenty of water movement Aquatic set up .

THINGS IM DOING DIFFERENT WITH IN THE LAST MONTH : Overstocking my tank , Keeping my Nitrate 20ppm and below , switched out stock from African cichlids (Witch eat alga) To Piranha (They don't eat the alga ) , Changing water every other day .

ALSO NOTE : My nitrates have never been ran this LOW the set up hase been up and running for almost two years Usauly they are around 50ppm
http://youtu.be/0OaXZkpjWYI
Try using uv lights and keeping your light off until you want to look at your tank. You might have your lights on too long. 50% water change every other day seems a lot to me IMO. 50% a week or two weeks might be better,so you won't remove so much Beneficial bacteria. I added aquatop cf500UV canister filters to my tank and it helped big time with green water. The best way To remove algae from your glass aquarium is in the video I posted. Hope this helps you .

Sent from my iPad using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Simcan

Gambusia
MFK Member
Dec 9, 2005
Toronto
Agreed, water changes done properly do nothing re: beneficial bacteria. Minimal lighting is the best solution. A near-full black-out for a few weeks can be a good way to get on top of it. Also find piranha-compatible algae eaters...maybe slow moving ancistrus or snails.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store