What can I do to fix this!

that_fish_Guy

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Jul 29, 2013
CA
I just tested my water in my 180 I have 2 juvinile oscars and one NTT datnoid in there. My ammonia is 0ppm my nitrite is 0ppm but my nitrate is so high it's embarrassing :( it's 80ppm or more !!! How can I fix this help! The tank is cycled it's been running for over a year and I cleaned my FX6 a week ago I also did a 25%-30% WC 20 mins before testing I think the nitrates have just came from the water change because my fish are always fine... I will test again tommorow at the same time

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

DIDYSIS

Mantilla Stingray
MFK Member
Feb 9, 2012
West Jordan Utah
What is your normal water change routine? And 80 is not horrible. Good to see you notice and are aware. Now you can work on making it better

Sent from the Monster Fish Keeping App

Drstrangelove

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Oct 21, 2012
San Francisco
I just tested my water in my 180 I have 2 juvinile oscars and one NTT datnoid in there. My ammonia is 0ppm my nitrite is 0ppm but my nitrate is so high it's embarrassing :( it's 80ppm or more !!! How can I fix this help! The tank is cycled it's been running for over a year and I cleaned my FX6 a week ago I also did a 25%-30% WC 20 mins before testing I think the nitrates have just came from the water change because my fish are always fine... I will test again tommorow at the same time

1) 3 fish that are 4" in length weigh ~.39 lbs
2) feeding them 5% net body weight per day with zero water changes will take ~91 days to accumulate 80 ppm nitrates

How often do you do water changes?

I would test the tap water to make sure the test is working correctly.

that_fish_Guy

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Jul 29, 2013
CA
I do water changes once a day to spot clean the tank of debris approximately 5 gallons a day and I do a 20-25% a week. I have treated my oscar for ich recently with salt successfully along with raising the temp if that helps. I have slacked on water changes this past week because I started school on Monday and I had to be on top of it ahead of time for my senior year. I had to get other business taken care of so I haven't been doing as I normally do... I am starting to get on top of my tanks after preparing for my schooling and get them back to near perfect so I got a new API test kit. I have 7-8 tanks to deal with now so it's hard being a senior in high school and balancing school priorities with my passion. I know that's no excuse to slack on my fish but life happens. I will do water changes as suggested and re-test in 48 hours or so.

EDIT: they aren't all 4 inches ??oscars are 4 inches each and NTT is about 7-9 inches it's hard to tell when he is in the water. Also forgot to mention I have a severum in there who is about 4 inches also. Haven't had him for long and I forgot to list him as being in the tank

chopsteeks

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jun 2, 2013
Denver
Do a couple of 50-60% water change in the next week and your tank will be back in shape. Don't know what kind of substrate but if sand, give it a good stir 30 minutes prior to water change. If gravel vacuum it real good.

DIDYSIS

Mantilla Stingray
MFK Member
Feb 9, 2012
West Jordan Utah
20-25 percent water change is not enough. Do a larger water change each week and you will get things looking even better permanently.

Sent from the Monster Fish Keeping App

decoy50

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jan 25, 2012
VA
Are you overfeeding or feeding something frozen like beefheart or raw seafood? 80ppm on a BB 180 with low stock is pretty hard to accomplish.

Also try testing your tap water. Sometimes nitrates are present in tap, but 80?? Yikes. I don't like it when mine creep over 10.

Gill Blue

Piranha
MFK Member
Apr 28, 2011
michigan
20-25 percent water change is not enough. Do a larger water change each week and you will get things looking even better permanently.
:thumbsup:
when I do my weekly water changes I drain the tank until there's only enough water to let the fish stay upright, about 85%.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store