Monster shark tank build

Schmid

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 13, 2014
Mauritius
Hi all shark lovers

i am at the beginning stages of starting a huge build that I am involved in. Building a shark tank, it will roughly end up being 2800 gallons, with a footprint of 4.3meters by2.5meters.

I have never dealt with anything quite this large before and I am looking for prices of protein skimmers pumps and all other equipment needed, could anyone point me in the direction of a good online store or maybe suggest some good quality brands ?

thanks so much for the help

Alex Schmid

Zoodiver

As seen on TV
MFK Member
Aug 22, 2005
South FL
Hey Alex, I just read your PM. Let me get back to you on it, I'm sure we can work something out.

As for the related life support / filtration, what is your budget and how much space do you have to work with?
There are a LOT of options for you, but the 'best' ones for you will depend on those two things.

For something that size, I'd suggest a large pt skimmer and a good sand filter (also known as a bead filter). It will keep maintenance costs down and keep the water column clear for you.

Aquatic Eco Systems has a few filters that would suit your needs. This one is a sand filter, UV and pump all in one. It uses an air pump to help backwash the sand filter, so you don't waste a lot of water to clean it (keeps cost of salt water down).

http://pentairaes.com/csk3-90-gpm-flowrate-44-cuft-filter.html

You could also track down a similar filter from a pool supply company if you don't want to spend that much at a time.

For pt skimmer, you have a few options as well. One of the best is the units from RK2. The small skimmers they offer are big enough to run your system and are used by almost every zoo/aquarium I've ever worked with. AN RK25PE or RK50PE would be the two I'd suggest - depending on your budget.

http://pentairaes.com/rk2-protein-fractionator-10-gpm.html

Zoodiver

As seen on TV
MFK Member
Aug 22, 2005
South FL
To give you a size idea, I run an RK75PE on a 3,000 gallon. It's VERY heavily stocked, though - and this skimmer is over kill. You wouldn't need to go with big.

Schmid

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 13, 2014
Mauritius
The budget for the filtration would be around 5000 USD would that be enough ? Cheaper is obviously better but the management team of the hotel are still calculating the exact budget as it depends on what we would have to spend on a tank and stand, it is all custom for a display at the hotel bar

Zoodiver

As seen on TV
MFK Member
Aug 22, 2005
South FL
$5000 USD should be enough to set up the proper filtration.

Are they wanting just sharks in the tank or will it be a mixed display?

Schmid

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 13, 2014
Mauritius
No, just a couple of black tip reef sharks, we have permission to collect them locally so I don't think that it will be an issue to get them, however I am not sure if the will be possible to release them back into the wild after they outgrow the tank, will they be able to adapt back to the ocean

Zoodiver

As seen on TV
MFK Member
Aug 22, 2005
South FL
Sadly they won't adapt back to the wild. They'll last about 3 years in the size tank you have described if you get them less than a year old (very small pups).

White tip reef sharks would be another option. They look cool, are amazing pack hunters when in groups and they would thrive in a tank with that foot print.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store