Arapaima facing possible extinction in the wild

divemaster99

Dovii
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2014
Pittsburgh, PA
That's just sad. Hopefully something will change but in poor countries like those that doesn't seem likely to me.

ElectricBlueSeanBurch

Piranha
MFK Member
Nov 24, 2010
Panaque Paradise
Terrible story. So sad...The only hope I can hold onto is the fact that if they ever do go extinct BloodyLucky will continue to say he saw one for years to come...

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
Yeah it is sad but at least they are being bred in Asia

dogofwar

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 3, 2006
Maryland
www.capitalcichlids.org
It seems that a viable solution is in front of them.

However, the researchers also uncovered some good news: In communities where arapaima fishing is regulated, the species is actually thriving, giving the researchers hope that conservation of the species is still possible.

But the researchers said their findings demonstrate that it's possible to save the arapaima from extinction without jeopardizing local food supplies.

"Fisheries productivity in Ilha de São Miguel is also the highest in the study area," Castello said. "Cast nets are allowed because they are much more selective, yet they yield abundant fishes for local consumption, so food security for the community is not compromised."

This bodes well for both fish and fishermen, said the researchers, who believe that spreading the fishing practices of Ilha de São Miguel to other areas of the Amazon could bring this unique species of fish back from the brink.

"Many previously overexploited arapaima populations are now booming due to good management," Castello said. "The time has come to apply fishers' ecological knowledge to assess populations, document practices and trends, and solve fisheries problems through user participation in management and conservation."

Matt

That's just sad. Hopefully something will change but in poor countries like those that doesn't seem likely to me.

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
Whatever happened with that dam they were going to build...it was said to be going to doom so many of the fish in the area?

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
Thanks TBTB.I didn't mean to derail but the arapaima's plight made me think of this project and the destruction to the fish and other animals it will bring.

dogofwar

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 3, 2006
Maryland
www.capitalcichlids.org
The Bello Monte dam project would, if anything, provide lots of nice habitat for Arapaima. Not so much for swift-water species...

Really the only things in common that the two threats to nature have are that they're man made.

Matt

Whatever happened with that dam they were going to build...it was said to be going to doom so many of the fish in the area?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store