Where and How To Get These Fish

divemaster99

Dovii
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2014
Pittsburgh, PA
So next fall (assuming I have my fish room up and running by then) I'll hopefully be getting a tank in the 150-240 gallon range. This tank is going to be all Lake Erie natives with the exception of a Gibbiceos Pleco that my mom is to attached to to get rid of and he needs a bigger tank by then.

I actually already have about half the stock now including 3 Yellow Perch, 1 Yellow Bullhead, and 1 Gibbiceps Pleco. Obviously they aren't fully grown yet otherwise I'd have no place for them yet. The perch are about 1.50-1.75", the bullhead is 5.5-6", and the pleco is 4.5-5".

Since I don't want any size or aggression issues when stocking the tank I want all the fish to be around the same size before I add them in. I was originally planning to get all juveniles a month or two before setting up the tank but due to me "impulse keeping" some fish that I catch I already have juvies.

My solution is hopefully to get some more growout tanks set up early next spring and try to power grow the other juvenile fish that I don't yet have that are to be included in the final 150-240 setup.

The fish I'm still looking to get between now and next fall are:

• 1 Black Crappie (obtained at 2-4")
  • 1 White Bass (obtained at 2-5")
  • 1 Freshwater Drum "Sheaphead" (obtained at 3-7")

(I know the Sheaphead would get to large for the lower end of the tank size I'll be getting and I'd skip getting one in anything less than a 180 gallon.)

I live in the Western PA area so where around me would be good areas to get each of these fish at the sizes I'm looking for?

divemaster99

Dovii
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2014
Pittsburgh, PA
Thanks but I more meant how to get juveniles. I always catch tons of white bass and white perch in erie but I never catch them under 6". Is there a better way to go after specifically juveniles of these species?

Shenanigans

Gambusia
MFK Member
Dec 26, 2011
Wyoming
Refine your technique and stay near cover. Juveniles are just food so they tend to stay shallower in thicker cover. Try a seine. Run a seine or net in thick weeds a few weeks or months after the fish spawn and you will find most of the ecosystem in weed beds and shallow tributaries. Many fish species can be found in less than 3 inches of water once the sun goes down. It's too dangerous to be in water deep enough for predators. The biggest fish hunt bait at night

xraycer

Arapaima
MFK Member
Sep 5, 2013
Southern NH USA
Try a minnow trap in shallow, heavily weeded areas

ChrisL

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 2, 2006
Central NY
Just a side question...is your tank heated? Curious how the Pleco does if it's not. I wanted to put a larger Pleco in with my Perch but thought he wouldn't survive the colder water.

divemaster99

Dovii
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2014
Pittsburgh, PA
Just a side question...is your tank heated? Curious how the Pleco does if it's not. I wanted to put a larger Pleco in with my Perch but thought he wouldn't survive the colder water.
The 75 gallon he's in now is, the perch will be going in it as well in the winter so I'll only set the heat on 72-73 F. The 150-240 gallon I'm setting up next year won't be heater so it'll run 62-74 F.

ChrisL

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 2, 2006
Central NY
Yeah, I don't think that will work for me. My tank is in the basement and it gets down to the upper 50's sometimes...the Eco won't like that!

Pumpkinseed

Exodon
MFK Member
Nov 6, 2013
Pennsylvania
Pleco's are an invasive species in Florida and Texas and can thrive even in areas where winter temperatures dip below 50F from time to time.

Depending on the species and how cold your house gets, no heater may be necessary.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store