Why the Aqueon 55/75 is my favorite Hob filter.

mudbuttjones

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jul 29, 2014
Wisconsin
Paid about 30 bucks each for them at the lfs. One is 2 or 3 years old. The other maybe a year. They move a good amount of water and dont require priming after a large water change.
uploadfromtaptalk1407951108676.jpg

One is my bio filter, the other is my mechanical filter.

uploadfromtaptalk1407951200605.jpg
One I lost the blue grid for it so I replaced it with bioballs.

One side is a factory cartridge. The otherside is biomax.

I have a sponge prefilter on this one.

uploadfromtaptalk1407951243365.jpg
Too bad disposable cartridges are so expensive. . Oh wait, bonded poly pads fit inside the bio holsters.

Sent from my SCH-R950 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
I like the plant idea.

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
I have never used them before,I've mostly used Marineland or Aquaclear products but I'm glad you are doing well with them.I have been wanting to try pothos in my tank but wasn't really eager to run another light to support them.With the hang on filter route I just might be able pull it off with the minimal light coming into my basement through the small windows.BTW what kind of car is that in your av?

RATEDRSUPERFAN

Gambusia
MFK Member
Aug 14, 2010
wisconsin
mine took a dump today (i think any way) that being said it lasted 5 years on two different tanks one a 75 when bought it new
(got the tank a stand a 300 watt heater the filter of this thread and a light and hood with that all for for 300 bucks every thing was made by aqueon if bought separately it would cost around 400 to 425 because the tank, stand and light alone would have cost 300 this 75 tank in storage no room in my current house with all its goodies ) and is currently on a 46 gallon bow (which i am considering converting to salt) along with the 300 watt heater from the 75

I would say its the best filter i have ever used

RATEDRSUPERFAN

Gambusia
MFK Member
Aug 14, 2010
wisconsin
mine took a dump today (i think any way) that being said it lasted 5 years on two different tanks one a 75 when bought it new
(got the tank a stand a 300 watt heater the filter of this thread and a light and hood with that all for for 300 bucks every thing was made by aqueon if bought separately it would cost around 400 to 425 because the tank, stand and light alone would have cost 300 this 75 tank in storage no room in my current house with all its goodies ) and is currently on a 46 gallon bow (which i am considering converting to salt) along with the 300 watt heater from the 75

I would say its the best filter i have ever used
I fell i need to update my previous post as i got my filter to work again after taking it apart 3 times and then getting annoyed enough i gave it a couple of good whacks and she has been running good for couple hours now

mudbuttjones

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jul 29, 2014
Wisconsin
I have never used them before,I've mostly used Marineland or Aquaclear products but I'm glad you are doing well with them.I have been wanting to try pothos in my tank but wasn't really eager to run another light to support them.With the hang on filter route I just might be able pull it off with the minimal light coming into my basement through the small windows.BTW what kind of car is that in your av?
Its my 99 Accord. Japan built F23A1 223,000 miles. Nothing special, just a bulletproof car that gets 30mpg and can still get out of its own way, but that story is for a different forum lol.

Ive had 2 aquaclear filters. I had an ac110 that always made noise, it was hard to prime, I broke the u tube once. Had to buy one for close to 20 dollars. I also had a smaller one, a 20 or 30, the tiny uplift tube clogged with hornwort needles and literally overnight the motor burned up. I know they aren't bad filters, I run alot of hagen stuff. I just always thought they were overpriced and were made of cheap plastic. Their design for filtering water is superior and offers alot of biomedia and minimal bypass, but like I said ive had bad luck.

For 30 bucks I can deal with a filter that moves 400gph and has enough room for me to cram a bunch of junk into. And ive yet to kill one, even survived an "ordeal" with play sand.

mudbuttjones

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jul 29, 2014
Wisconsin
One of mine some times needs help getting the impeller spinning. Not every time. I just take the powerhead portion off the housing of the filter while underwater and give the impeller a flick with my finger and it fires right back up. But its old. Im not complaining. Ive had new filters and powerheads thay needed that kind of TLC right out of the box. *cough* topfin *cough*

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store