Breeding Ideas For a 24" x 12" x 16"

divemaster99

Dovii
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2014
Pittsburgh, PA
Just moved my three 1.5" yellow perch into their own 20 tall tank as a growout until they hit 5-6". Once they get to big and I have to move them out of the tank I plan on breeding some type of fish in it. The dimensions are 24"L x 12"W x 16"H and filtration is a sponge filter rated for a 50 gallon. Substrate is loose tan gravel and I can change it if needed but I'd prefer to keep it. pH of my tap is 7.6 and I don't change it for any tanks unless necessary. I'm expecting the perch to be moved out of the tank by the end of the year.

Here's a few options I was considering.

• Breeding Trio (1M : 2F) Dollar Sunfish (4.5-6" max size)
  • Breeding Group (2M : 3F) Bantam Sunfish (3.5-5" max size)
  • Breeding Colony (M:F not yet decided) Ellasoma sp. "Pygmy Sunfish"
  • Breeding Group (M:F not yet decided) Brook Stciklebacks
  • Breeding Group (2M : 4F) Wild (wild coloration not wild caught) Sailfin Mollies
  • Breeding Colony (M:F not yet decided) Heterandria formosa "Least Killifish"
  • Breeding Colony (M:F not yet decided) Gambusia affinis "Mosquitofish"
  • Breeding Group (1M : 3F) Common Ancistrus
  • Breeding Colony (M:F not yet decided) Some Species of Livebearer, probably Goodeids or Swordtails
  • Breeding Pairs (2M : 2F) Phyllonemus typus "spatula mustache catfish" if my friend can get me some fry

Which of those options would you guys do?

importracer

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Dec 22, 2005
NorthernCalifornia
Convict cichlid.............Pix when up...............

Brobstfish

Candiru
MFK Member
Jan 17, 2012
USA
Thanks for the suggestion but I'm not a fan of any cichlids other than Angels and Apistos.
I would do the pygmy sunfish, I had 1 male and 3 females in a 55 planted and it was neat watching their breeding behavior. Contact Brian Zimmerman and he should be able to hook you up with any natives you want.

Sent from my SM-G900V using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

joe jaskot

Dovii
MFK Member
Sep 16, 2011
Clifton, NJ
The ancistrus and a livebearer could both be bred in the 20 at the same time. The goodeid (characodon lateralis) is a colorful and interesting fish.

divemaster99

Dovii
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2014
Pittsburgh, PA
Same time? It'd be nice to breed two species at once. The Goodeid I had in mind was Lepoard Goodeids.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store