glass for plywood tank

swims alot

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jan 24, 2014
Rhode Island, United States
i am soon starting my 300 gallon plywood tank build using liquid rubber. i got a quote from a local glass shop for 3 sheets of 1/2 inch non tempered glass. the front viewing panel is 70x25 for $184 with unpolished edges and $234 polished. the side panels are 34x25 and $192 for both and would be $254 for polished edges. my question is are polished edges necessary for a plywood tank and if so is their a cheap way to cover them or polish them myself? thanks

Brobstfish

Candiru
MFK Member
Jan 17, 2012
USA
i am soon starting my 300 gallon plywood tank build using liquid rubber. i got a quote from a local glass shop for 3 sheets of 1/2 inch non tempered glass. the front viewing panel is 70x25 for $184 with unpolished edges and $234 polished. the side panels are 34x25 and $192 for both and would be $254 for polished edges. my question is are polished edges necessary for a plywood tank and if so is their a cheap way to cover them or polish them myself? thanks
Looking back at some other other build threads I don't think polished edges are going to make much of a difference

Sent from my SM-G900V using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

fishguy306

Peacock Bass
Community Vendor
MFK Member
Oct 24, 2005
Illinois
Polished or unpolished shouldn't make a difference for the silicone part of the job since it will be adhered to the front of the glass rather than the edge. That said, I would still go polished. The front piece in particular will be heavy and likely moved around by grabbing the edges. Rough glass edges can give some very nasty cuts. For the sake of everyone's fingers and palms I'd spend the money on it and save some band aids.

swims alot

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jan 24, 2014
thanks for the info guys i think im going to leave it unpolished and add a layer of the silicone to cover the edges when i put the panels in place. ill also be careful not to cut myself lol

Drstrangelove

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Oct 21, 2012
San Francisco
thanks for the info guys i think im going to leave it unpolished and add a layer of the silicone to cover the edges when i put the panels in place. ill also be careful not to cut myself lol

http://www.envirosafetyproducts.com/kevlar-grip-sharp-glove.html

Maybe get something like this. A dozen pair for $11 seems like a can't miss price. My factory is very big on safety and they always taught us that trying to be safe is easy to say, but hard to do. Wearing safety protection is however easy to say and do.

swims alot

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jan 24, 2014
thanks drstrange but i got some gloves i can use for the glass and i have one more question. ive been reading that liquid rubber doesnt adhere well with silicone and that you can use fiber glass cloth or krylon spray paint over the rubber for a better seal on the glass. just wondering if u guys have a preferance or some info on that. thanks for the help guys

BearFish

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 1, 2014
Ohio
Hi Swims, I am also building a liquid rubber-plywood tank. I suggest getting some liquid rubber seam tape and putting it between the interface of the glass and liquid rubber. Than painting the seam tape with liquid rubber. You prevent leaks and reduce the possibility of the fish cutting themselves on the glass edge.

I'm going to try Butyl Caulking all the way around. It is suppose to stick better.

swims alot

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jan 24, 2014
Thanks for the advice bear , but I think im going to use silicone on fiberglass and then use some krylon over it and then maybe a thin layer of silicone or rubber. And any pics on the build?

Sent from my SGH-T999 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

swims alot

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jan 24, 2014
i subscribed to your post. it looks good so far man i cant wait to see the finished product. also i plan on making a sump/refugium out of my 75gal for the 300. this will be my first time using refugium and i could use some help with the design and pluming if you have any experience with that.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store