Ageneiosus Marmoratus Duckbill catfish

KiiNGGiiNGER

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 9, 2013
Marietta, Ohio
I just bought a Duckbill/Hammerhead catfish and we are currently cruising around the tank. I have researched them before purchasing but as a somewhat uncommon species I havent found a ton of info. It is currently 5-6in and doesnt seem to be interested in food yet, while im not worried im just wondering what people have gotten them to readily eat for their first few meals. Also wondering how sensitive they are to water conditions, while i do keep up on my water changes and all there is also an oscar in the tank atm, so I was wondering if it is advised to rehome him since they are such a dirty fish. Any info is appreciated I want to make 110% sure I provide the best home for this amazing fish.

UnstoppableJayD

MFK NNJ
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Jun 6, 2012
Northern NJ
Great Fish, I have mine for about a year or more.. he grew from 8 inches to about 14. When I got him he took frozen silversides right away. He now eats massivore,krill, shrimp, nightcrawlers... pretty much anything. One thing they will lie totally motionless, dont get worried. I have even seen my rays bite him and still not move. I would stay away from live if you can. Also do not underestimate what they can fit in there mouth. GL

Here is an older vid of mine,

[YT]236UUPMODo4[/YT]

KiiNGGiiNGER

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 9, 2013
Marietta, Ohio
I work at the pet store I got him from and when I unloaded him from the bag he was laying on the bottom motionless and not visibly breathing...thought he was dead for a few seconds until I turn the bag upright and he rolled over on his own, really freaked me out for a few seconds. I came across the video of yours a few times during my searches, amazing fish. Ill try some shrimp and massivore in a bit, thanks for the info!

KiiNGGiiNGER

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 9, 2013
Marietta, Ohio
Will do and awesome would love to see it, planet catfish said they max around 12" but i found most of them get to be almost 18" so im very excited.

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
IME, if trained before coming to you, they are not too fussy. But if not, they can be very stubborn and rather eventually die from hunger or malnutrition than accept non-live or even simply new foods.

If you will, a photo of yours, Jay, with a ruler would help improve the Cat-eLog. We all use it and improve it together. BTW 12" SL is ~15" TL, so not that far from 18" TL but, yes, 3" is still significant.

KiiNGGiiNGER

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 9, 2013
Marietta, Ohio
Havent seen her eat anything in the light atleast yet but she is still quite active just doesnt seem to look at food much. Ill get some silversides tomorrow and try that as well.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store