Herichthys sp. "Blue Labridens".... should I sell them?

House 64

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jun 26, 2006
An island somewhere......
These are my Herichthys sp. "Blue Labridens".... the group of 7 ranges from 3" to 5"+ inches. I'm on the fence about selling these.... not readily available and I've had them since they were 1". I purchased them from Dan at Cichlids of the Americas along with my groups of Herichthy Bartonis and have taking a liking to them. BUT as things go, I'm considering making room for other fish and these are on the chopping block. Has anyone bred the Blue or Yellow Labs?

[YT]myMkbthMhbU[/YT]

CANAMONSTER

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Dec 5, 2012
Barrie
Always hard deciding what to keep especially when it will be hard to obtain again. Maybe wait it out a bit longer, how are your other collection coming along?

On another note as hard as it may be to get rid of a hard to get its very nice feeling getting something new :)

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
I also have some pantostictus, started with a group of 8, but they have whittled down to a trio of 2 females and a male. A pair appeared to be setting up to spawn last year, but fizzled out, haven't quite figured out a good trigger to get them going again.

TMSB805

Candiru
MFK Member
Aug 19, 2009
Laurel Maryland
I'd keep them. When you get rid of a "hard to find" fish, you always seem to regret it a few weeks later. Now if you're making room for some other rare fish i could understand your dilemma

Duane those look pretty darn good.

I also have some pantostictus, started with a group of 8, but they have whittled down to a trio of 2 females and a male. A pair appeared to be setting up to spawn last year, but fizzled out, haven't quite figured out a good trigger to get them going again.

dogofwar

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 3, 2006
Maryland
www.capitalcichlids.org
I sold my group at the ACA Convention that we hosted in 2011.

They're hard to find but also mean as heck (and will get worse as they age), not really that colorful or interesting and will take up a lot of space, especially when they spawn.

Not a hard decision for me but they're exactly the kind of fish that disappears from the hobby.

Matt

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
Agree about the aggressiveness, my male runs the tank, and each female has only a tiny area on opposite ends.
This is my 2nd attempt at them, the 1st time (a few years back) the large, 8-10" alpha male simply killed any others.

dogofwar

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 3, 2006
Maryland
www.capitalcichlids.org
I ended up having to divide the tank.

Maybe in the right (8'?) set-up they'd be really cool but I just couldn't accommodate :)

Matt

Agree about the aggressiveness, my male runs the tank, and each female has only a tiny area on opposite ends.
This is my 2nd attempt at them, the 1st time (a few years back) the large, 8-10" alpha male simply killed any others.

House 64

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jun 26, 2006
An island somewhere......
CANAMONSTER said:
Maybe wait it out a bit longer, how are your other collection coming along?
Great stuff fellas. Duanes, nice Labs! Canamonster, the collection is good but always evolving. Downsized the umbee collection and starting to keep smaller cichlids. One of my Bartoni groups have started to spawn and I have a nice group of 60-80 .5" growouts. Acquiring a couple pairs if Odo's and still trying to find 1 or 2 female green Istlanums for my 2 males. Any leads? :)

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store