Lungfish missing fin?

verawrf

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 13, 2014
Florida
Hi guys, new here to the mfk forums and I have a question about a lungfish I recently picked up. I have searched and searched with no answers, so my apologies if this is a stupid or obvious question.

I have, i believe, correctly id'd this as a west african (P. annectens). My question is concerning the filamentous fins...this specimen is missing its front left one. I know these are used for movement along the bottom, although he seems to be doing great without it, it is still a concern.

Will it grow back on its own? I know they are sensitive to medications as well, so is there anything I could or should be doing to help?

Sorry the pics suck, best i could get of him so far. Thought they might help someone confirm the id for me as well!

Thanks in advance.
:thumbsup:

rodger

Polypterus
MFK Member
Apr 29, 2008
Kansas City
I had all four get chewed off of one. They grow back real fast.

Sent from my SCH-S960L using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Reactions: tlindsey

verawrf

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 13, 2014
Florida
cool, thanks for the info guys. Any idea about my id as a WAL? Concerned about his tankmates after further research. Which are (if your curious):
2- florida gar
2- green severum
1- fire eel (about the same length as the lungfish pitured)
1- venustus(sp) cichlid
1- albino channel catfish
1- small RTC

All are too large to fit in the lungfish's mouth except the venustus, and the fire eel's head is small enough to be crushed from a bite i believe. He was with tankmates at the LFS i purchased him from, and he seems very docile with them so far. I know it probably wont last, so he will be relocated to a personal tank soon.

verawrf

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 13, 2014
Florida
Thanks for the confirm joel. Was hoping i was wrong :/

He has had a run in with my fire eel and RTC both trying to nab a worm from his mouth. He is being friendly for now, really hoping he doesn't take anything out before i can get him moved.

abjr

Exodon
MFK Member
Apr 18, 2011
In my tank
They grow back fast , with my experience from mine take 2 to 3 weeks depending on how much got bitten off and even had a small portion of his tail bitten off from a puffer but it grew back in a few months and also used melafex (not to sure on its spelling melafex)

Sent from my SM-N900P using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

rodger

Polypterus
MFK Member
Apr 29, 2008
Kansas City
Sooner or later it will take a bite out of any fish that stays on or near the bottom. It doesn't matter how big it is. It may be two years from now, but it will happen.

Crocoduck

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 6, 2017
Hi, I have a similar problem as your fish above, my lungfish's fins got ripped off by my terrapin. Mine is an Marbled Lungfish, if I'm not wrong. Will it still grow back, even if the two species are different?
I have a photo of mine below, please correct me if that's not a marbled lung.image.jpg

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store