Bichirs and their growth rates

Athleticfisherman

Gambusia
MFK Member
Aug 22, 2012
Canada
I wanted to start this thread for anyone interested since I was looking for the fastest growing bichir and couldn't find any info.
I bought a 3,5" endlicheri endlicheri bichir in May and It is now approx. 7.5-8" it is also being feed sinking gold pellets and chopped up Massivore pellets in my 300 gallon tank.
I would have loved to by an ornate bichir but I heard they were slow growers.

Sent from my iPad using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

BichirAddict

Fire Eel
MFK Member
May 13, 2007
Virginia
Ornates can grow crazy fast. I had mine go from 2.5" to 16" in 18 months.

Aw3s0m3

Piranha
MFK Member
May 6, 2012
Over there
Ornates are usually hit or miss. I got 2 ornates at 7" last year and in the year I had them, they only grew to 10". I've noticed that fastest growth though with sens and endli's. I've grown sens from 2" to 8" in 6 months and I got my black volta endli in February at 4" and now it's about 12".

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Athleticfisherman

Gambusia
MFK Member
Aug 22, 2012
Canada
Ornates are usually hit or miss. I got 2 ornates at 7" last year and in the year I had them, they only grew to 10". I've noticed that fastest growth though with sens and endli's. I've grown sens from 2" to 8" in 6 months and I got my black volta endli in February at 4" and now it's about 12".

I think endli's are just pigs haha
Anyone know how they would act with stingrays?

Aw3s0m3

Piranha
MFK Member
May 6, 2012
Over there
I've heard mixed of bichirs with stingrays. They could get along fine or the bichirs could start nipping at the Ray's disc. Most people say don't try it though.

Athleticfisherman

Gambusia
MFK Member
Aug 22, 2012
Canada
I've heard mixed of bichirs with stingrays. They could get along fine or the bichirs could start nipping at the Ray's disc. Most people say don't try it though.

Yea kinda figured, I'm going away to university next year and don't think it would be a good idea anyway. I think I will just keep dreaming about owning a golden cross back(asian arowana since I live in canada) and leopoldi stingrays lol

SawickiB

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 22, 2014
FL, United States
I think it all comes down to who eats the most one of my teugelsi bichirs has grown 2" in a month while the others are only at .5 to 1" in growth. I may have gotten lucky on my teugs though haha i got 5 that all eat like pigs , but my one eats SO much. Got 3 more coming :D But yea id agree that endis seem to grow the fastest. When i had one it grew from 6" to 13" in a few months.

Athleticfisherman

Gambusia
MFK Member
Aug 22, 2012
Canada
I think it all comes down to who eats the most one of my teugelsi bichirs has grown 2" in a month while the others are only at .5 to 1" in growth. I may have gotten lucky on my teugs though haha i got 5 that all eat like pigs , but my one eats SO much. Got 3 more coming :D But yea id agree that endis seem to grow the fastest. When i had one it grew from 6" to 13" in a few months.
One bichir that would be pretty awesome to own would be a nile bichir. I've literally looked everywhere for one with no luck :(

ReisAntonio

Gambusia
MFK Member
May 10, 2012
Lisbon
One bichir that would be pretty awesome to own would be a nile bichir. I've literally looked everywhere for one with no luck :(

Same here I would love to have one but never managed to find one yet. At the moment I have a 12" ornate, a 14" endli and an 8" senegalus and I would have to say that the senegalus are the slowest growers because I have mine for 5 years and it´s still that size and i´ve heard they can get to 10"

Athleticfisherman

Gambusia
MFK Member
Aug 22, 2012
Canada
Same here I would love to have one but never managed to find one yet. At the moment I have a 12" ornate, a 14" endli and an 8" senegalus and I would have to say that the senegalus are the slowest growers because I have mine for 5 years and it´s still that size and i´ve heard they can get to 10"
You might have gotten a smaller one that just maxed out at 8" :p

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store