Pictus cat: should I buy

bloodlucky

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jul 23, 2014
New York
Hi everyone as you know I'm doing a fish in cycle in my 40 gallon with only one juvenile blood parrot, and even though I'm dosing BB there isn't much ammonia in there for them to feed on. My initial plan was to have the blood parrot all by himself in there, the center of attention, but I feel like having maybe a lower profile bottom fish that cleans up after my BP would be a good idea. I saw pictus catfish at Petco and I'm thinking about getting one this weekend, and help the nitrogen cycle process. I just need to make sure they're compatible with blood parrots, and that it won't steal his food because he has a hard time eating, having a deformed mouth and all. I also hate plecos, so I thought pictus cat would be a good alternative

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

ragin_cajun

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2013
South Louisiana
It's often recommended to put Pictus catfish in groups of 3 or more, especially when they're small. They are pretty active catfish, and I had one in a tank with larger CA Cichlids that would eat pellets at the surface. So if you're wanting a calm, slow, non-competitive fish with the blood parrot, they may be a problem. They are kinda hyperactive, especially when they're small, and they like to eat A LOT and real fast.

bloodlucky

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jul 23, 2014
New York
It's often recommended to put Pictus catfish in groups of 3 or more, especially when they're small. They are pretty active catfish, and I had one in a tank with larger CA Cichlids that would eat pellets at the surface. So if you're wanting a calm, slow, non-competitive fish with the blood parrot, they may be a problem. They are kinda hyperactive, especially when they're small, and they like to eat A LOT and real fast.
Thank you for this advice. I'm off to find an alternative now. Gotta start brainstorming

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
I'd suggest a fishless cycle.

I agree with Cajun on temperament and behavior etc., except I'd say it is better to have 6+ pictus but your tank's too small.

Also, catfish are not cleaners in that they need a proper diet of their own, balanced and nutritious.

Your BP is eating poorly because it is stressed by toxins (not a cycled tank), I am rather sure. It should not normally have any problem eating and also is often too aggressive to other fish, incl. catfish, in the tank.

bloodlucky

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jul 23, 2014
New York
I'd suggest a fishless cycle.

I agree with Cajun on temperament and behavior etc., except I'd say it is better to have 6+ pictus but your tank's too small.

Also, catfish are not cleaners in that they need a proper diet of their own, balanced and nutritious.

Your BP is eating poorly because it is stressed by toxins (not a cycled tank), I am rather sure. It should not normally have any problem eating and also is often too aggressive to other fish, incl. catfish, in the tank.
I've done a bit of research since this thread, I think if I do go for a bottom feeder I'm going to try a Raphael catfish. My BP are eating fine now, also I measured params and ammonia and nitrites were 0, water softness was a bit off but not by much.

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
That would work too, but perhaps not the life of fish. If we are taking stripped raphs, they can get to 8" rather commonly, 10"-12" rarely. Spotted raphs stay smaller, ~6", so perhaps that is the way to go.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store