Seachem purigen clean with bleach

orionxtr

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 10, 2010
erie pa
Hi I am using purigen in some of my tanks and I need to clean it but I am really scared to use bleach to clean it

Sent from my HTCONE using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Aw3s0m3

Piranha
MFK Member
May 6, 2012
Over there
I did it once with the purigen in my reef exactly the way the directions said and I guess there was still some bleach in it when I put it back in. 😫 killed a couple inverts and stressed out A LOT of corals and some fish so I removed them all and aerated the tank for a few hours and all the bleach cleared out and it was safe again working just as well as if it were brand new. Learn from my mistake and before putting it back in, aerate the **** outta it to be 100% sure all the bleach is gone.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
White house 1600 Pennsylvania Ave NW, Washington
Curious to see the responses on this as I am going to start running purigen too

Sent from my SPH-L710 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

ragin_cajun

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2013
South Louisiana
I've cleaned Purigen with bleach with no problems at all. soak it in bleach til it turns white again, then soak it in Prime for an hour or so. no problems.

PDRed302

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Aug 4, 2011
Fort Worth Texas
I have cleaned with bleach as per the instructions multiple times, although I usually give it a good rinse and let it sit in tap water for a day. Then I give it another good rinse and let it sit in conditioned water for another day or two.

This process (although it takes twice as long) gives me better peace of mind than the standard 2 day clean. Once I have let it sit in the declohinated/conditioned water for a day or two I check it again, if there is even a hint of bleach smell to the bag/media I rinse it and let it sit for even longer.

I've done this for a few years now and have never had a problem with it.

csaechao

Candiru
MFK Member
Feb 27, 2008
I've cleaned Purigen with bleach with no problems at all. soak it in bleach til it turns white again, then soak it in Prime for an hour or so. no problems.
+1. just soak in some prime after you are done soaking it in the bleach solution.

xraycer

Arapaima
MFK Member
Sep 5, 2013
Southern NH USA
^^^This is how you truly neautralize the bleach......Prime or any kind of dechlorinator

mudbuttjones

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jul 29, 2014
Wisconsin
Just a side note- im considering purigen, im ok with doing monthly or bimonthly recharges or w/e

how many recharges can one expect to get before its capacity is diminished or its totally ineffective?

Dieselhybrid

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 31, 2010
Here
Just don't ever let it get completely dry. I think that diminishes its effectiveness the most.

Sent from my SM-N900T using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store