Feeder help

ChrisL

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 2, 2006
Central NY
I just set up a Rubbermaid 100 gallon stock tank for feeders. I put an Aquaclear 110, which was already running on a 55 gallon for 2 years, and a 6" air stone on it. I put 100 Fathead minnows in from a local breeder. For the last week the minnows get this white covering in patches on their tails and head and then die. My water tests 0 Ammonia, 0 Nitrites and 0 Nitrates. I put 1 tsp/gallon of salt in the tank and have treated with Pimafix and Melafix with no success. Anyone know what I'm dealing with or what I'm doing wrong? I had this happen last year when I had them in a established 55 with good water parameters too- I just thought it was too small a tank for 100 minnows. But now the same thing in a bigger tank. I know 100 gallons is too small for 100 fish, but there isn't 100 fish in there very long as I'm feeding 15 every other day. Any help would be appreciated.

ragin_cajun

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2013
South Louisiana
I don't think 100 minnows in 100 gallons of water is unreasonable at all. In fact, I think it's fine to put 100 minnows in 55 Gallon tank. Amount of water is not the problem.

ChrisL

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 2, 2006
Central NY
That was my thought especially since the water parameters were good and they weren't there that long. But I'm stumped as to what's killing them.

reptilerescued

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 19, 2014
nepa
This is going to sound weird, BUT!!!

Try some in a new plastic bucket with just a air stone with native water, like creek, pond, or lake water.
Untreated. Bet you don't see any problems.

I tried treated tap water and RO water, and got something like you describe.
Before I went the ancient fish route I had chiclids/oscars. so when I went fishing I would set a minnow trap and bring them home wild caught.
had similar problems.
one time I forgot about them in the bucket the air pump batteries were dead ( about a week I think) but the minnows were fine, BETTER then fine, they looked good. After that I just kept them in the bucket with the lake water.
I figured treated "good" water was no good for them.

Just a suggestion.
Rich

Lepisosteus

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
May 20, 2014
Ontario, Canada
This is going to sound weird, BUT!!!

Try some in a new plastic bucket with just a air stone with native water, like creek, pond, or lake water.
Untreated. Bet you don't see any problems.

I tried treated tap water and RO water, and got something like you describe.
Before I went the ancient fish route I had chiclids/oscars. so when I went fishing I would set a minnow trap and bring them home wild caught.
had similar problems.
one time I forgot about them in the bucket the air pump batteries were dead ( about a week I think) but the minnows were fine, BETTER then fine, they looked good. After that I just kept them in the bucket with the lake water.
I figured treated "good" water was no good for them.

Just a suggestion.
Rich
Keep the temperature colder, don't add all the minnows at one time, and don't buy a fish that already has a disease or fungus

ChrisL

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 2, 2006
Central NY
I buy the minnows from a fish farm. They raise bass and other natives but buy the fatheads from someone in the mid west. The minnows show no sign of disease. He keeps them in a very large tank made from an old silo. So they are not in lake or river water there either. I have well water so no chlorine or other additives. When I bring the minnows home I acclimate them in a bucket of their water and drip tank water in for about 1-2 hours. Once in the tank I dose them with Stress Coat. I don't heat this tank so the water is around 65 degrees. Within a couple days all hell breaks loose. After I start medicating I do 40% daily water changes. No luck though.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store