Bullhead ID?

SMSChris

Gambusia
MFK Member
Feb 23, 2014
Earth
I recently got a hold of this little guy and I'm under the impression that it's a spotted bullhead. However after browsing the Web for more info on them, it seems as though many people misidentify them. I'm really hoping it's a spotted since It won't grow as large as the other bullhead species. So, what do you guys think?

Screenshot_2014-08-15-13-30-41.png

divemaster99

Dovii
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2014
Pittsburgh, PA
It's either a Spotted which is one of the smallest or a Florida Brown which is pretty much the biggest other than Whites. Hard to tell from the picture but I believe that Spotteds have a black base on their dorsal fin. Looks very much like a Spotted but you'll have to wait for more opinions.

SMSChris

Gambusia
MFK Member
Feb 23, 2014
Earth

Chicxulub

Hand of the King
Administrator
Aug 29, 2009
I crash at the K-Pg
From looking at the pictures on this article I am thinking spotted bulldog because of the head shape and spots.
The body shape between the two us pretty close. The main differences are found in the spines of the pectoral fins and the huge black spot on the dorsal fin of the sspotted.

While not all browns have spots, some do; in particular the Florida morph. True spotted bullheads will have a number of small, round spots all over their body. A Florida morph brown will have sharp edged, rarely round spots. They have more of a speckling effect that gives a marbled pattern, like the fishbin question.

While labeled as a spotted, this is a Florida morph brown, and a large part of the reason why I wrote that piece over on PCF:

http://www.planetcatfish.com/common/image.php?species=ameiurus_serracanthus&image_id=6766

That article was extremely informative. Thanks for putting it up. I'm going to have to look closer at this little guy and really try to identify him. I still have hope that he's a spotted! Mostly because I really don't want to have a 2 foot catfish roaming my tank.
I wouldn't get my hopes up too much if I were you. I'm 100% confident that this isn't a spotted. I'd post a bit mor thoroughly but my phone is a pita.

If need be, I'll address this some more later tonight.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

thebiggerthebetter

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
... and really try to identify him. I still have hope that he's a spotted! ...
There is no need to. It'd been IDed correctly by Chicxulub. It is not spotted but southern brown. You can trust Rob, esp. when he says 100%.

... Mostly because I really don't want to have a 2 foot catfish roaming my tank.
99 to 100 it will not exceed ~15" TL even after several years, if ever.

SMSChris

Gambusia
MFK Member
Feb 23, 2014
Earth
The body shape between the two us pretty close. The main differences are found in the spines of the pectoral fins and the huge black spot on the dorsal fin of the sspotted.

While not all browns have spots, some do; in particular the Florida morph. True spotted bullheads will have a number of small, round spots all over their body. A Florida morph brown will have sharp edged, rarely round spots. They have more of a speckling effect that gives a marbled pattern, like the fishbin question.

While labeled as a spotted, this is a Florida morph brown, and a large part of the reason why I wrote that piece over on PCF:

http://www.planetcatfish.com/common/image.php?species=ameiurus_serracanthus&image_id=6766

I wouldn't get my hopes up too much if I were you. I'm 100% confident that this isn't a spotted. I'd post a bit mor thoroughly but my phone is a pita.

If need be, I'll address this some more later tonight.

Yea after really looking it over I completely agree with you on it being a brown. But I've already grown quite fond of it so I'm staying with it. How big, more or less, should I expect it to reach once it attains adult size? It's in my 150 gallon now but considering the stock I have I'll be upgrading to something bigger by either mid to late next year.

Chicxulub

Hand of the King
Administrator
Aug 29, 2009
I crash at the K-Pg
Yea after really looking it over I completely agree with you on it being a brown. But I've already grown quite fond of it so I'm staying with it. How big, more or less, should I expect it to reach once it attains adult size? It's in my 150 gallon now but considering the stock I have I'll be upgrading to something bigger by either mid to late next year.
It will probably stay under 15"

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store