New Teugelsi issues!

SawickiB

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 22, 2014
FL, United States
Hi, i just got 3 more teugs, and one of them is having some serious issues, hes at the top of the tank completely lateral and its really weird. When he swims he wobbles side to side very erratically until he gets back up to the surface and just floats there like hes dead. Please help, im gong to add some salt to see if that helps, thats lots of aeration, and all the stats are 0 and nitrates are 10 ppm. This one came in a batch of three all individually packed and this one is the only showing problems. :confused::confused::confused:

Dr.B

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 28, 2012
Texas
If it's struggling staying down it may just be an air bubble which the salt should help out with. If he's staying at the top by will then it would explain a lot as some just choose to chill at the top. Try and see if it'll eat anything. When I have some that get air bubble they'll usually eat and the food will help pass the air bubble

SawickiB

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 22, 2014
FL, United States
It doesnt seem like air bubble though, when i first got my teugelsi bichirs one had a air bubble and it was gone by morning. This guy acts like hes dead floating at the top of the tank, it doesnt seem like any ordinary air bubble, its kinda freaky, hes face is touching the water and his body goes downward.

Dr.B

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 28, 2012
Texas
Can you get a pic or video I am having a hard time picturing what you are describing.

SawickiB

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 22, 2014
FL, United States
i can get one if the morning if he isnt any better, hopefully i wont have to.

SawickiB

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 22, 2014
FL, United States
Well, it would appear you were right, no dead fish and no one floating at the top. That was a very weird gas bubble though.

SawickiB

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 22, 2014
FL, United States

Nevermind, i found him dead when i got back from school, i thought he was fine... Although he was very skinny since i got him a few days ago and had a lot of trouble swimming i just thought he had a neurological problem, and he was going to be my favorite, i named him steve. But sadly hes dead now, i caught him trying to bite the fin off my biggest teugelsi last night, but i dont think anyone killed him. :rip

Ponera

Candiru
MFK Member
Nov 2, 2012
Calgary, Alberta
Could have been an infection in the swim bladder that caused his floating issue as well as other erratic balance issues. These can sometimes appear like a neuro issue. My two senegals take turns trying to eat each others fins and chasing. They never accomplish anything, not even mild damage, just swimming around like morons ever now and then. I dunno if other species do that, but I think the ones you had are closer to senegals than most other bichirs so perhaps that is what the attempted fin biting was.

As for why he got mildly better before dying: I see this in reptiles and amphibians ALL the time. I have seen it a few times in fish as well, where they show a bit of improvement and then suddenly are dead.

Silly bichirs.

SawickiB

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 22, 2014
FL, United States
Could have been an infection in the swim bladder that caused his floating issue as well as other erratic balance issues. These can sometimes appear like a neuro issue. My two senegals take turns trying to eat each others fins and chasing. They never accomplish anything, not even mild damage, just swimming around like morons ever now and then. I dunno if other species do that, but I think the ones you had are closer to senegals than most other bichirs so perhaps that is what the attempted fin biting was.

As for why he got mildly better before dying: I see this in reptiles and amphibians ALL the time. I have seen it a few times in fish as well, where they show a bit of improvement and then suddenly are dead.

Silly bichirs.
Thanks dr.b just 50$ down the drain o well life goes on.

Im not sure what it was, but i think all bichirs are closely related, but all are different with in their own species. Yea, i wish my silly bichir didnt die though...

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store