Oscar wont eat

AquaticAustin

Gambusia
MFK Member
Oct 28, 2011
Orlando, Fl (UCF)
Hey guys I bought a full grown oscar about 9 days ago from a store who took him as a trade in. He Is in a cycled 165g tank with only a jack dempsy. The jack eats fine but I have not gotten the oscar to eat anything yet. I tried cichlid pellets (large), a live worm, and today I put in goldfish and he has shown no interest in any of it. The two fish are not fighting but the Oscar does seem to have a superficial infection on his face where it appears that pimples appear and pop on his face (see pics). Please help I dont want to lose the big guy! uploadfromtaptalk1408155379502.jpguploadfromtaptalk1408155395486.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Wizzah

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 1, 2013
Australia
Oscars can go a month with out we eating easy, just keep presenting food daily he'll eventually take it, mine took around 5-6 days when I got mine, hes just being a big baby :)

Sent from my GT-I9305T using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Ponera

Candiru
MFK Member
Nov 2, 2012
Calgary, Alberta
Confirming that fish like oscars can go an absurdly long time without eating, it's part of their biology. This is part of why they eat so bloody much and so indiscriminately whenever they get the chance; that chance might not come again for a long time. Let him settle, also try a food with garlic, or getting a garlic additive for your food. Fish apparently are the opposite of vampires....except vampire tetras or whatever. Those might not be but strangely love garlic nonetheless.

Nova 8

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 10, 2007
South Australia
I had an Oscar go 3 weeks without eating when I upgraded his tank, give it some more time. Try some blood worm.

AquaticAustin

Gambusia
MFK Member
Oct 28, 2011
Orlando, Fl (UCF)
So I put 8 goldfish in the tank and only 5 are left but I have not seen who ate them. The jd has been hiding under a ledge in my 3d background since I put them in there... No idea why

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store