Mag 9.5 / to prefilter or not to prefilter?

mudbuttjones

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jul 29, 2014
Wisconsin
Ive got this rad magdrive 950. Im working on my build.

Should I use the supplied basket filter screen it came with or screw in a 3/4 FPT tube with a COARSE reticulated sponge pond pre filter? Will this hurt flow? I know it'll polish the water and aid in bio filtration some.

Filtration is a gravity fed trickle tower from the display tank. Mech filtration is 1 drawer bonded filter pad. One drawer floss.

Sent from my SCH-R950 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

mudbuttjones

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jul 29, 2014
Wisconsin
Ive got this as a mock up.

uploadfromtaptalk1408169625333.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1408169648243.jpg

Its a basic 3/4" drilled pvc with a coarse prefilter.

I added 2 satellite sponges on a tee that will help keep flowrates high between cleanings and allow me to rotate which ones I clean.

im worried about negative pressure on the Pump

brich999

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 3, 2010
New Hampshire
Ive never put a prefilter on a pump before but id imagine you would have to keep an eye on it to make sure you dont burn out the pump as junk accumulates. Even my canisters with like 250gph get slowed considerably within a month of cleaning the prefilters. I dont see the necessity for them and dont think they will save your pump anymore than it could potentially cause harm and unlikely much bb will colonize with such high flow and regular cleaning

mudbuttjones

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jul 29, 2014
Wisconsin
Given that this is literally the entire lifeline of the tank, I dont want to take any chances. I've only used prefilters on slower flowing pumps. (150-350gph) 950gph is alot. My water should be clear enough by the time it hits the sump in theory. Maybe im just cheap and buy alot of pond pumps, and those I can def see the benefits of prefiltering.

would you use the included basket style strainer? Or just leave it wide open?

uploadfromtaptalk1408171167040.jpg

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
I use the basket and/or other cage type devices to keep snails out, but the basket is a bit flimsy and with time and use, becomes unfit to stay in place.
And have tried sponges, but they easily become easily plugged in my sumps and choke the flow.
The "general rule", as I understand it is, you can restrict flow on the effluent/outflow of centrifugal pumps without creating problems, but the quickest way to burn one out, is to restrict the influent.

joe jaskot

Dovii
MFK Member
Sep 16, 2011
Clifton, NJ
I use the basket and/or other cage type devices to keep snails out, but the basket is a bit flimsy and with time and use, becomes unfit to stay in place.
And have tried sponges, but they easily become easily plugged in my sumps and choke the flow.
The "general rule", as I understand it is, you can restrict flow on the effluent/outflow of centrifugal pumps without creating problems, but the quickest way to burn one out, is to restrict the influent.
The newer models of the mag 9.5 come with a reinforced basket which is much sturdier.

joe jaskot

Dovii
MFK Member
Sep 16, 2011
Clifton, NJ
I would use the homemade sponge pre-filters. I've never burned out a mag pump no matter how slow the water flow. Just be sure to squeeze out the sponges occasionally to maintain the flow.

mudbuttjones

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jul 29, 2014
Wisconsin
My basket is the reinforced style. It has 2 disks connnected by a shaft that sit inside.

I didnt consider until now that since im running a herbie/siphon with 2 1" bulkheads that any change in flow rate could cause problems with the water level flushing in the weir. This may cause problems or just be a "friendly reminder" to clean my sponges

(Incase your wondering how I'm running a trickle tower and a herbie- the tower is acrylic with a small reservoir on top that holds the better part of a gallon of water with the outlets of the drains submerged a couple inches. The chamber overflows directly into the trickle tower, over a "gate" with teeth cut, similar to a weir box. The stand is tall almost 40" ive got lots lf head room in the sump for shenanigans like this)

ive decided to run with the basket until I have all the kinks ran out of the system then I will give the sponges a shot once I have a handle on all of the variables. Thanks for your help.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store