Pix of my gar

reptilerescued

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 19, 2014
nepa
1st. thank you Lepisosteus for the great hands on info.

This was sold as a alligator gar.
After a few weeks of looking at it and pix i'm pretty sure it's a florida spotted.

Why would it be sold/advertised as a gator gar ????? I was pretty sure 97% that it was NOT a allygar.
Even when I was getting it bagged up to take home I said " you sure it's not a spotted florida? he insisted it wasn't.
He's a great guy with a great shop. He really knows his saltwater stuff. I'm thinking that's where it ends. Ss he is nothing but a aquarium shop ( no dogs, cats, or reptiles) and 80% is saltwater.

Anyways enjoy above pix. of the fake alligator gar.
The wife named him GARfield.
Rich

Lepisosteus

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
May 20, 2014
Ontario, Canada
1st. thank you Lepisosteus for the great hands on info.

This was sold as a alligator gar.
After a few weeks of looking at it and pix i'm pretty sure it's a florida spotted.

Why would it be sold/advertised as a gator gar ????? I was pretty sure 97% that it was NOT a allygar.
Even when I was getting it bagged up to take home I said " you sure it's not a spotted florida? he insisted it wasn't.
He's a great guy with a great shop. He really knows his saltwater stuff. I'm thinking that's where it ends. Ss he is nothing but a aquarium shop ( no dogs, cats, or reptiles) and 80% is saltwater.

Anyways enjoy above pix. of the fake alligator gar.
The wife named him GARfield.
Rich
No problem, it was definitely a florida . that tank is going to look great once the curly leaf pond weed fills in a little. The gar looks a little bigger then what we were talking about so once your 150/180 is set up you could probably move him. The gar looks to be 10+"

reptilerescued

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 19, 2014
nepa
Nope got two different measurements on him and he just hits 9 inches.

Got the fiber sponge filter covered and am adding another one.
Then the tank is done accept for plant grow out.
So I'll get more pix up of the tank up then.

Was back down there today and ordered another one, then one more after that. For a total of three.

Only reason the HOB is there is to suck up dead feeders that the whip tails don't eat.

I got to see him eat last night pretty cool. 1st fish I had that chews his food.
the cichlids always swallowed whole or spit them back and forth until they fit.

Once the other bio filter is in the tank will be done. until I figure out what I'm doing with the other tank.

I was going to buy a 150 with a 2 ft x 6 ft print ( my other is only 18 inch W x 6 ft ) but I'm gonna go with the 180 and a 2x6 print.

I just have to make my mind up on if I'm going to set the 150 up since it will be taking the space the 180 will go in.

I'm kinda thinking yes, even if it's just for a year since @ 18 inches wide it's 2x the with of the gars length.
Where right now the 55 is 12 inches and he's 9 inches.

Anyone know how long (guestimate) I can keep him in the 150 18 wide?

Rich

Lepisosteus

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
May 20, 2014
Ontario, Canada
Nope got two different measurements on him and he just hits 9 inches.

Got the fiber sponge filter covered and am adding another one.
Then the tank is done accept for plant grow out.
So I'll get more pix up of the tank up then.

Was back down there today and ordered another one, then one more after that. For a total of three.

Only reason the HOB is there is to suck up dead feeders that the whip tails don't eat.

I got to see him eat last night pretty cool. 1st fish I had that chews his food.
the cichlids always swallowed whole or spit them back and forth until they fit.

Once the other bio filter is in the tank will be done. until I figure out what I'm doing with the other tank.

I was going to buy a 150 with a 2 ft x 6 ft print ( my other is only 18 inch W x 6 ft ) but I'm gonna go with the 180 and a 2x6 print.

I just have to make my mind up on if I'm going to set the 150 up since it will be taking the space the 180 will go in.

I'm kinda thinking yes, even if it's just for a year since @ 18 inches wide it's 2x the with of the gars length.
Where right now the 55 is 12 inches and he's 9 inches.

Anyone know how long (guestimate) I can keep him in the 150 18 wide?

Rich
For the 150 at 18" wide you could keep him for a very long time. He will hit 12-16" after this year, then 1 inch a year or less for the next three. There's a thread on here with a 15 year old Florida In a 125 and the gars 18". Its personal preference on what you feel is adequate space for YOUR fish

reptilerescued

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 19, 2014
nepa
Tank is done as it gets.
I have more in the fish then the entire tank even after buying new filter mesh.

The filters are hidden in cheap cheezy decorations, it's better then looking at filter mesh. the java fern I ordered looks like pure crap.
I had it in a quarantine 10 g for about 2 weeks and it still looks like when it shipped. ( crappy) I'm hoping it grows out and corrects it's self.
I have some nice drift wood to put in the 150 that I wanna get the java on. the wood is to big for the 55 so it's out side soaking in a rubbermaid that it is to big for with some concrete to keep it submerged and bleed out and stop floating. it's been in two weeks now and still floats and is still leaching out tannins.

I think I will stick with my original 150 for now since it seems like it has time to grow him out in the 55 and the 150 18 W before I upgrade.

So here is a pic of the tank done as far as I'm going with it. and a vid I got of him chowing down a feeder.
it's 11 seconds I couldn't get my phone unlocked fast enough to get it from the start. Besides he eats so random.

BYE BYE feeder. ( click image to watch )

angle shot down the front.

front shot.

Caught him head on with the flash.
Here's l@@k'n at you!

Rich

Lepisosteus

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
May 20, 2014
Ontario, Canada
Tank is done as it gets.
I have more in the fish then the entire tank even after buying new filter mesh.

The filters are hidden in cheap cheezy decorations, it's better then looking at filter mesh. the java fern I ordered looks like pure crap.
I had it in a quarantine 10 g for about 2 weeks and it still looks like when it shipped. ( crappy) I'm hoping it grows out and corrects it's self.
I have some nice drift wood to put in the 150 that I wanna get the java on. the wood is to big for the 55 so it's out side soaking in a rubbermaid that it is to big for with some concrete to keep it submerged and bleed out and stop floating. it's been in two weeks now and still floats and is still leaching out tannins.

I think I will stick with my original 150 for now since it seems like it has time to grow him out in the 55 and the 150 18 W before I upgrade.

So here is a pic of the tank done as far as I'm going with it. and a vid I got of him chowing down a feeder.
it's 11 seconds I couldn't get my phone unlocked fast enough to get it from the start. Besides he eats so random.

BYE BYE feeder. ( click image to watch )

angle shot down the front.

front shot.

Caught him head on with the flash.
Here's l@@k'n at you!

Rich
In my 20 long it took a year before the java fern finally took off. It quickly got out of control though. Just be patient it will grow. For the 150 I would suggest different filtration and not just sponge filters. Their still good to have in the tank though so still run 1 or 2. The tank looks good, waiting to see the 150. Here's the 20 long and where I'm heading with fish keeping for a short time (the dark side)IMG_20140808_220024.jpgIMG_20140224_174613.jpg I lost all pictures of the full view but it was very thick.

IMG_20140808_220024.jpg

IMG_20140224_174613.jpg

xander

Manjuari
MFK Member
Sep 6, 2007
Singapore
for a 18" wide tank imo not more than 2 years, it should be hitting at least 16" by then and should be given more space to turn

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store