HDPE Panel/Liquid Rubber/Plywood 240 Gallon DIY Aquarium Build

BearFish

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 1, 2014
Ohio

Hi everyone,
I'm in the middle of this aquarium build, so I would like to share my experience so far.

I started out wanting to build a liquid rubber/plywood 8' x 2' x 2' aquarium, but I'm not really happy how the liquid rubber is going down. I found some HDPE panels at Menards for ~50$ a 8' by 4' sheet, so I'm going to line my aquarium with this after I use up 1 gallon of the liquid rubber and use the other gallon I bought for this project on the basement.

I'm a novice at aquariums, but I feel I'm a pretty good non-professional craftsman. I'm doing this more because I enjoying building things than trying save some money.

So, this is what I've done so far.
Went to http://www.garf.org/tank/buildtank.asp, and put in the dimensions I wanted for my aquarium (8'x2'x2). I picked these dimensions because this is the best use of 2 8'x4' sheets of plywood. I'm using 3/8" thick glass ($220). Went to sketch-up and designed my aquarium and stand. I'm building it higher than most aquariums and cleaning is going to be difficult, but I like that it is unique.
Aquarium.jpg
So, went to pick up the wood at home depot, and had them cut it for me.
IMG_0756.JPG
Next, I pre-drilled, glued and screwed the plywood together to form the box.
IMG_0769.JPG
After that, I cut the front windows out with my router.
IMG_0773.JPG
I used normal epoxy to coat the outside of the aquarium to waterproof it from spills and what not. Built the stand, and cut the holes for my overflow, sump and drain.
IMG_0793.JPG
I put Ames seam tape around the joints and where I cut holes for the drains.
IMG_0808.JPG
Now I'm painting the interior with the liquid rubber.
IMG_0828.JPG
Please let me know if you have any feedback and I will continue with the project.

IMG_0756.JPG

Aquarium.jpg

IMG_0769.JPG

IMG_0773.JPG

IMG_0793.JPG

IMG_0808.JPG

IMG_0828.JPG

muttley000

Gambusia
MFK Member
Nov 24, 2011
West Unity, OH
Are you going to plywood skin the stand? If not I would get some diagonal bracing on the stand to prevent racking. I'm also a little worried structurally about your stand front, how wide are the openings under the 2x4s where it looks like you will have doors? Tank itself is looking good!

BearFish

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 1, 2014
Ohio
I plan on skinning the sides and the back. The openings are 33", 17 3/4", and 33". I have been trying to decide if I want to make a second low height aquarium (~10") below it. The water would drain from the top tank into the lower one, and then from the lower tank to the sump. A 3,000+ GPH sump pump would take the water back to the top aquarium tank. I like having lots of real estate for the water purification system. Thanks on liking the Tank! :)

muttley000

Gambusia
MFK Member
Nov 24, 2011
West Unity, OH
I guess the openings looked wider than that, and the skinning will stabilize it well. I think you will be fine. Keep us posted! Looking forward to seeing it come together, and it's cool to have an other Ohio woody build going on! What part of Ohio are you from?

wednesday13

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 2, 2008
The deep south
Wheres the bracing? Looks like it will explode to me :) lol...glued/screwed plywood cannot support the pressure alone. Tanks like this work using fiberglass and epoxy resin to strengthen the wood box. Even then, the ones that last use a full fiberglass/resin coating on the entire tank, inside and out. If fiberglass is not used its necessary to brace the outside of the tank, especially the front. Hdpe panels cannot be painted or glued either. They need to be heat welded together. This is the only way to join them at the seams for a watertight seal or join them correctly in general. Hdpe, hdpp, pvc, abs...etc...are all petroleum based products, therefore oily in nature, so solvents/paint will not adhere. Good news is the tank is small so u may get lucky fighting water pressure...but id seriously reconsider the structural integrity of ur unsupported plywood. Hats off to more Ohio members building tanks, do some more digging tho on how to brace a tank. Ames blue max is a proven product for tanks so ur good there...just need a better structure to paint it on.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

wednesday13

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 2, 2008
The deep south
uploadfromtaptalk1408298785682.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1408298795709.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1408298811675.jpg
Notice the 2x4's around the outside of the wood box...thats what holds the walls up...not the box itself....if you want to use a box like u currently have....fiberglass/resin takes the place of the outer frame/cage.
Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

coolkeith

Candiru
MFK Member
Nov 1, 2005
Detroit
Looks like it will be top heavy also. That stand free standing is going to be wobbly for sure, no matter how you brace it. Will need to be beefed up and screwed into the wall studs.

MTBjake

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Dec 12, 2011
Menifee, Ca
Bear, I think a 2nd aquarium on the bottom would be good, if for nothing more than to help stabilize it. It looks pretty tall...which isn't a bad thing if it's secured. And like a previous poster said, add some ribbing to those walls since the ply alone, won't support the water.

BearFish

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 1, 2014
Ohio
Wednesday, Man you are making me nervous. I pretty much took the build from Garf. I'm hoping it will be OK, because others have done the same thing without problems. As long as you stay under a height of 30", you can go this route. Well, unless you use pond armor, than you have to stiffen everything because it is brittle and will crack with deflection. This is one of the reasons why I went with liquid rubber. I plan on moving the tank in about a year. (I will also have three braces at the top I have not installed yet)

Yaa, I've heard that HDPE panels are hard to glue together. I've also heard some people have had success with butyl caulking, which I'm going to try. It will still be water tight with ames blue max, but it will also have a rugged HDPE panel surface.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store