High nitrates

Wenzo0o0o0oo

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jul 1, 2010
usa
Hey guys , for some reason my aquarium nitrate is pretty high around 40-80ppm , how can I fix it , I have a purigen in the filter also , will 20percent wc everyday work , won't that kill off the bb? I got fx5 and ehiem 2075 pro3 fx5 I have biohome and the ehiem I use the media that it came with , help

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

hemiboo

Candiru
MFK Member
Jul 31, 2005
Charleston, SC
I'd do 50% water change and clean the gravel. I change 50% every week to week and a half. That big canister holds most of your bb so a big change and vac won't kill it off if you add the conditioner right before you add the new water. Good luck.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Wenzo0o0o0oo

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jul 1, 2010
usa
I'd do 50% water change and clean the gravel. I change 50% every week to week and a half. That big canister holds most of your bb so a big change and vac won't kill it off if you add the conditioner right before you add the new water. Good luck.

I do change water every week , should I be change the water everyday now until
It's stable?

deeda

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 26, 2008
Medina, Ohio
A 50% water change should drop the tank nitrates by 50% unless your tap water also has nitrates present.

When was the last time you cleaned your filters?

hemiboo

Candiru
MFK Member
Jul 31, 2005
Charleston, SC
Do a big water change and vac and tomorrow test the water and see where you stand. Nitrites and nitrates come from wastes, be it uneaten food or poops. If the levels are still high then you did not get rid of the waste.

You may need to clean the filters out. Don't do all of this in one day. I give it a few days between water changes and filter cleaning so you don't kill the bb. Clean one filter a day, with a small water change.

Wenzo0o0o0oo

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jul 1, 2010
usa
Do a big water change and vac and tomorrow test the water and see where you stand. Nitrites and nitrates come from wastes, be it uneaten food or poops. If the levels are still high then you did not get rid of the waste.

You may need to clean the filters out. Don't do all of this in one day. I give it a few days between water changes and filter cleaning so you don't kill the bb. Clean one filter a day, with a small water change.

I did a filter clean a week ago then for some reason my tank crash I had some ammonia then I fix the ammonia problem then nirate came, new nitrogen cycle?

cichlidfish

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Jun 18, 2005
I did a filter clean a week ago then for some reason my tank crash I had some ammonia then I fix the ammonia problem then nirate came, new nitrogen cycle?

Did you clean the filter w/ tap water? I use tank water to keep the bb. Tap water will kill the bb and you will have to cycle again.

mudbuttjones

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jul 29, 2014
Wisconsin
I had like 30-40 ppm in the tap water at my last apartment.

Check your tap water before you get too crazy with it. It may be no fault of your own.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store