DIY driftwood

Dam ok

Exodon
MFK Member
Jul 17, 2014
Denver
Hey everyone how's it going. Can anyone tell me if I can use this dead piece of wood for driftwood. I have no idea what kind of wood it is but it looks epic and I really want to put it in my 125 gallon cichlid tank. Any help is great thanks all

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

virgil2090

Polypterus
MFK Member
Aug 29, 2011
NJ
That piece is sick! I collect DW pieces all the time and never had a problem in any tank.you can power wash and scrub it.I know that pine and any soft woods are not good to use

Sent from my SPH-L710 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

mudbuttjones

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jul 29, 2014
Wisconsin
I've collected driftwood before. I baked mine in the oven at a low temp sub 200 degrees ferenheit. Then soaked them for a few days in a bucket until they sank. Never had a water quality issue or mold problem. Not sure if this is the best advice or not but it worked for me.

muttley000

Gambusia
MFK Member
Nov 24, 2011
West Unity, OH
That is an awesome piece! After you get it cleaned you may want to soak it and use a couple guppies or goldfish with it as a test on the outside chance it has been exposed to chemicals or is a species that leaches something nasty out.

Dam ok

Exodon
MFK Member
Jul 17, 2014
Denver
Does anyone know how to tell if it's hard or soft wood. After I baked it for 5 hours I poured boiling water over it. And now I'm letting it soak. The water is coming out pretty clear after the boiled water. But the wood in places feels kinda soft

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

mudbuttjones

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jul 29, 2014
Wisconsin
Even my hard woods like my Malaysian driftwoods feel soft like the stuff ive collected locally, once they are waterlogged that is

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store