Breeding Arapaima

Zooaqua

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 18, 2014
Brazil
Hello, members!
Would Arapaima be a profitable fish to breed as an ornamental fish? Would they have a good demand? I mean , if one can produce them with low investment ?

Thank's in advance!

Alexandre

koi9

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jul 18, 2011
california
It's gonna be costly breeding and feeding all of those giants. In addition to the huge amount of space u need to breed them.

Sent from my LGMS500 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Zooaqua

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 18, 2014
Brazil
I see it would be costly. But I have access to a large volume of flowing water, in a tropical hot weather.By the way, the water has low ph, very similar to amazon basin.
With that on hand, I was thinking about arapaima, which is already bred here in Brazil, or stingrays. Intend to breed for exportation.
Would like to know about the market for those fishes.
Any opinion would be precious!
Thank's!

Blkpiranha

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jun 8, 2007
Hello, members!
Would Arapaima be a profitable fish to breed as an ornamental fish? Would they have a good demand? I mean , if one can produce them with low investment ?

Thank's in advance!
Alexandre
No! They are one of the many big fish that don't belong in the aquarium hobby as 99% of people can't house them for life. So limited market!They are abused for the status of owning one.

Breed them and put them back into the wild would be a better idea.

Blkpiranha

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jun 8, 2007
I see it would be costly. But I have access to a large volume of flowing water, in a tropical hot weather.By the way, the water has low ph, very similar to amazon basin.
With that on hand, I was thinking about arapaima, which is already bred here in Brazil, or stingrays. Intend to breed for exportation.
Would like to know about the market for those fishes.
Any opinion would be precious!
Thank's!
Tons of people breeding stingrays too and hobbyists are getting to be one of the best suppliers.I can't see much money being made in breeding rays as they are still readily available to hobbyists.

Zooaqua

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 18, 2014
Brazil
Fully understand. Actually,arapaima is too big for aquarium hobby, when adult. Here in Brazil, there are some arapaima breeders. Not as ornamental ,but as food. So, less pressure over wild population.
About rays, good news anyway. If there are so many breeders, that means they're not that impossible to breed.Here in my country, there are no comercial breeders, as far as I know( and I've done a good research). All the stingrays legally market here are wild caught. By the way , a good amount of the collected rays goes for exportation , as I've been told by collectors. That's why I was thinking about exportation.
I'll take my chance on rays, as they reach a good price here. My intention is to keep wild genes , not making hybrids and not mixing different populations.
If nothing, it will be a nice fish to work with.

Thank's for all the attention !

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
My intention is to keep wild genes , not making hybrids and not mixing different populations.
Good for you, IMO that's the best way to approach the ray market. Hybrids have been popular for several years now, but the purists still want pure strains from specific locations. Over the long haul I think that you might do well in that niche. Best of luck.

brich999

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 3, 2010
New Hampshire
Id imagine stingrays would be one of the more profitable fish to breed on a large scale and being so close to their native habitat you probably would have some advantages breeding them. Plus im sure they are easier to get good wild breeding stock there than other places

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store