Best UV Filter?

rodger

Polypterus
MFK Member
Apr 29, 2008
Kansas City
Who manufactures the best UV filter and what makes it the best? I have been looking hard at Aqua Ultraviolet because the wiper seems like a great feature. I'm not aware of another brand that offers it. Let's hear what you think is best.
Thanks
Rodger

rayguy84

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 26, 2013
pennsylvania
I run 2 aqua uv a 25w and a 57w on my 375g couldn't be happier easy to set up, use and the wiper makes keeping them running good a breeze.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

rodger

Polypterus
MFK Member
Apr 29, 2008
Kansas City
Any other opinions?

Sent from my SCH-S960L using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

zie2695

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jul 1, 2013
N/A
I like turbo twist's line of uv sterilizers

Sent from my SM-G900P using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

spiff44

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Dec 20, 2007
Midwest
Another thing about the Aquaultraviolets is that their specified specs are at the end of the lamp life... this really stands out IMO.. making them one of the better units.

Most units give new lamp figures and then that is the most you can expect as it is constantly degrading from there. So, considering this and that their specs are still better than most... its pretty impressive.

TRENT

Candiru
MFK Member
Nov 18, 2007
OREGON
I run 2 aqua uv a 25w and a 57w on my 375g couldn't be happier easy to set up, use and the wiper makes keeping them running good a breeze.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App
Rayguy84, why two UV's? Just curious if I'm under UVing (if that's a word) my tank? I runs 25 watt on 350 gallons. Aqua site says a 25 watt is rated for 500-1200.

noside

Gambusia
MFK Member
Mar 6, 2014
NJ
Rayguy84, why two UV's? Just curious if I'm under UVing (if that's a word) my tank? I runs 25 watt on 350 gallons. Aqua site says a 25 watt is rated for 500-1200.
I wouldn't base UV ratings on watt per gallon. Flow rate per wattage is most important, as dwell time is the most important part of sterilization.

A 18 watt UV could be sufficient on a 300 gallon tank if you were flowing only ~100 gph through it.

Opposite side a 30 watt UV would be useless if it was seeing flow rates of 10000+gph.

This is why a lot of the pro UV'S are really long units to induce a long dwell.

there's a really nice graph I think coralife had it out where it showed specific flow rates vs wattage and what level of sterilization will take place. I have to try and dig it up as I haven't seen it posted here.

Edit
Here you go specific to the turbo twist but puts things into a visual perspective

You can also underflow a unit an burn out the bulb faster.

TRENT

Candiru
MFK Member
Nov 18, 2007
OREGON
"You can also underflow a unit an burn out the bulb faster."

I don't see how flow would make a difference in the life of the bulb? Can you explain? Thx

spiff44

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Dec 20, 2007
Midwest
If they run too hot it can make the bulb fail faster. I don't run the pump with a prefilter because of that... I found my 1200GPH pumps with the foam prefilter would clog in about a month to the point that its restricting flow enough that the UV filter casing starts getting hot. So rather than risk missing noticing this one time... I just leave them off so its a non-issue. There is a slightly higher chance of something getting sucked in but my water is clean enough that I'm not too worried about it... the pick up is also several feet off the floor.. this helps too.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store