male bdxleo not eating and being weird

gorak

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Dec 9, 2013
mn
Since I tried raising the temp to try and bring up breeding my male has been acting strange. A day before I decided to bring it back down from 87°f to the 77-82°f I normally run my male stopped eating as much. He hasn't eaten anything for a few days. He is mostly inactive with sperts of activity(180° from what he was). I have tried target feeding him fillets(a normal favorite and as of late a staple) and he shows no interest. He used to greet me at the top to be hand fed but now seems to not even react to food going into the tank.

I also at the same time as the temp reduction removed rocks and all but one driftwood.

He used to spend a lot of time on the sides of the tank but right now seems hesitant to go on the sides. Also he becomes a bit more active at night but it isn't a huge difference.

All my other fish during the is whole time show no change in behavior.

Perams are

Nitrate-10-15
Nitrite- 0
Ammo- 0
Ph- 7.3

How long should my male be like this before I should be freaking out? I am highly concerned now.

burbon44s

Candiru
MFK Member
May 13, 2012
milwaukee
Water perms are great. Maybe he's getting picked on.
I had an Oscar in with my rays and never thought it was a problem til they stopped eating,pulled Oscar out and every went back to normal.
Just a thought.
Sent from my XT1080 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

sam buckle

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 19, 2008
cornwall
Check your PH every few hours especially a couple of hours after feeding and also in the middle of the night. I bet you are having ph swings. Symptoms sound exactly like it, and yes only one ray may be affected.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

gorak

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Dec 9, 2013
mn
Thanks guys.

He didn't eat tonight but seemed a quite bit more active. No one is picking on him other then the female just being an aggressive ray but she has not caused this before and they have been together for a long while even before I had them. She has not increased or changed her behavior toward him either.

I'll try some crawlers tomorrow. I am also going to go get some shrimps and other fav seafoods of him to try to get him going again.

My pH is stable. I have crushed coral in as a buffer. I didn't change it from my Cuban gar set up and pH stability is key with them. The one difference I can think of is I took my peat out of the sump and my oak log out of the tank. Then the tannic water went away. It may have cause a change in pH from that and he was just reacting to it. That was about a week before though.

I have had fish go on hunger strike's before but it feels a lot different with this ray. He is the pinicle of my fishkeeping. With the activity he has shown tonight it is looking like I may have been freaking out sooner then "needed". Hopefully it is confirmed with him eating tomorrow.

MEDHBSI

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Sep 4, 2011
Coquitlam BC
even though your water seems good id do 10-15 % change a day just in case its something in the water until he's eating again

gorak

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Dec 9, 2013
mn
I may give that a try.

Woke up to him being more active and he has been swimming around on the sides and flying through the tank today. I got his favorite smelts and shrimps today and he still didn't eat.

I am going to get crawlers tonight and get another few pounds of massivore on wed. I ran out a week ago.

This is the longest he has gone without food. When he was little he over ate and threw up. After that he didn't eat for 2 days. Now it was seemingly uncaused and it has been about 6-8 days since I really seen him eat.

gorak

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Dec 9, 2013
mn
He ate at least one chunck of shrimp tonight so I think we are on the rise.

gorak

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Dec 9, 2013
mn
Just checked the dates. And that was a 13 day hunger strike for him. If I could the little bit he ate tonight as ending it.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store