P. Gymnothorax Update

West1

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Sep 27, 2007
I purchased one about 8 months ago and since then picked up 2 more. I really love these guys, very very exotic and different for me.
Tank mates are...
4 juvi F1 Altum, 2 whip tails, 3 fancy guppies and 1 Cory.

10", 13", 14"

All eating broken pieces of massivore and 10mm NSL pellets.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

ImageUploadedByMonsterAquariaNetwork1408257412.604304.jpg

ImageUploadedByMonsterAquariaNetwork1408257425.190983.jpg

ImageUploadedByMonsterAquariaNetwork1408257439.683638.jpg

ImageUploadedByMonsterAquariaNetwork1408257456.605566.jpg

ImageUploadedByMonsterAquariaNetwork1408257487.101409.jpg

Charney

The Fish Doctor
Staff member
MFK Member
Nov 15, 2005
Somerville NJ
man you group looks great. Makes me miss my past group

West1

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Sep 27, 2007
got them from a vendor here, Rare Fish

I hear ya charney, these guys are so interesting. They are my new fav fish :)

DB junkie

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 27, 2007
Iowa
got them from a vendor here, Rare Fish

I hear ya charney, these guys are so interesting. They are my new fav fish :)
Lol..... I told ya E!!! Really glad to see you enjoying these guys..... I know how special of a fish it takes to hold your interest for any amount of time..... lol

Now quit making their feedings so easy. Make them work for it. Floating carny sticks!!! Watching them making laps at the surface is priceless! As long as your top has been eel proofed!

The tank I have mine in is also one of my favorites to watch and to feed. Still have them with 2 species of ATF and the combo works great. The ATF have figured out that in order to avoid the eels competing for their floating sticks they must hit the sticks hard and fast enough to scare the eels away. Once they are full the eels clean up what's left. Growth rates seem to be close enough I think I have a chance at this working long term.

West1

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Sep 27, 2007
Lol..... I told ya E!!! Really glad to see you enjoying these guys..... I know how special of a fish it takes to hold your interest for any amount of time..... lol

Now quit making their feedings so easy. Make them work for it. Floating carny sticks!!! Watching them making laps at the surface is priceless! As long as your top has been eel proofed!

The tank I have mine in is also one of my favorites to watch and to feed. Still have them with 2 species of ATF and the combo works great. The ATF have figured out that in order to avoid the eels competing for their floating sticks they must hit the sticks hard and fast enough to scare the eels away. Once they are full the eels clean up what's left. Growth rates seem to be close enough I think I have a chance at this working long term.

Haha, yeah its hard to keep my interest for sure (I hate that). I need to snap a pic of the biggest one chillin on the top of the manzanita like a real snake. Kicks it with his mouth open, I can see his tiny sharp teeth :) Sometimes I see them bite down on the massivore and it gets stuck on their teeth too. Very underrated fish!

I just started adding 1 tbs of calcium weekly and been doing about 8 tbs of coral life salt every water change (I think its coral life, def salt water), you adding anything? So far so good, been like this since I got my first Moray.

DB junkie

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 27, 2007
Iowa
No salt here. Bought them as freshwater, planning on keeping that way. Not sure how much ATF would appreciate salt? lol

IF they end up needing salt they'll end up just like the last 3 Morays I tried to add to Barney's tank - killed/eaten.

Maybe it's time to go full on salt??? Some real crazy eels out there. I know I've never witnessed anything like a group of big hungry eels when it comes to feeding time.

West1

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Sep 27, 2007
I was told to add this due to their slime coat, plus I don't think I am adding enough to even consider brackish. They are my prize fish atm so I'm adding the tiny bit as recommended. I want to get these guys to the 2'+ mark... They look badass

SawickiB

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 22, 2014
FL, United States
Wait, so these guys dont need brackish to marine water like the snow flake eel! Id love to get a few myself if they are full freshwater!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store