Good cheap brine shrimp hatchery kits

bloodlucky

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jul 23, 2014
New York
Hey I'm looking for some cheap brine shrimp hatchery kits, hopefully one I can buy online without assembling myself. Something small I can fit on my desk, maximum 1 gal of space, and just enough for the shrimp to reproduce and keep a consistent line of live treats going for my blood parrots. I saw online a cool kit you can buy where you screw on a coke bottle over a base with a bubbler. Something like that

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
I use these from brineshrimpdirect.com, they are about 3" tall, and the size of a pie plate. No aeration needed, no heater, I just add the eggs and within about 24 - 36 hours, there are newly hatched artemia.

bloodlucky

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jul 23, 2014
New York
I use these from brineshrimpdirect.com, they are about 3" tall, and the size of a pie plate. No aeration needed, no heater, I just add the eggs and within about 24 - 36 hours, there are newly hatched artemia.

Interesting, sort of like the whole SeaMonkey deal. Anyway what do you feed them, and do you do anything extra to get them to breed?

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
I don't feed the artemia, I feed fry for a few days on the newly hatched shrimp, then toss the left over eggs into an out door shallow pan where any unhatched eggs hatch, and feed on unicellular algae, and grow to adults.

Interesting, sort of like the whole SeaMonkey deal. Anyway what do you feed them, and do you do anything extra to get them to breed?

bloodlucky

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jul 23, 2014
New York
I don't feed the artemia, I feed fry for a few days on the newly hatched shrimp, then toss the left over eggs into an out door shallow pan where any unhatched eggs hatch, and feed on unicellular algae, and grow to adults.
Seems like something I couldn't manage being as unorganized as I am. I'll try browsing around but it's not a priority unless there are some feeding difficulties

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
As you can see in the 1st post, I always have 2 shrimp cultures going, I start one, then another, a day or 2 later, and move the PVC piece that says "new" onto the top of the latest one started, tossing the old culture into the outside pan.
Pretty simplistic.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store