360 gallon Auto Drip/Water Change System Flow Rate

bigphil001

Exodon
MFK Member
Jan 29, 2013
Lake in The Hills IL
Hi!

I am finally getting my drip system setup to automatically change water for me. I have a separate tank that contains 50% RO water, and 50% tap water, temperature matched to the same as my aquarium

My question is can I change too much water? My tank is 360 gallons. I was going to shoot for around 2-2.5 GPH which would mean 100% of the water is changed every week. Is this too much?

I currently have a GPH gauge on the dosing pump that is taking water out of the tank. If I let it pump at full force it is roughly 4 GPH.

My current setup:

ragin_cajun

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2013
South Louisiana
I don't have an Auto Drip, never done it. I've read a lot about it, though. I think that what people are doing is dripping in just enough to keep nitrate levels low. They monitor nitrate levels, and adust the drip rate over time. If you have a charcoal filter, the less water that's filtered, the longer the filter will last. If you have an R/O system, you waste 3-4 times the R/O water you produce. So, you want to drip in as little clean water as you can.

bigphil001

Exodon
MFK Member
Jan 29, 2013
Lake in The Hills IL
Agreed on the wasting thing.

I guess I'm asking more if I can change too much water per week?

From what I have dug up on the searches the majority of people say you can't change too much. I just want to make sure.

flukekiller

Piranha
MFK Member
Aug 2, 2014
gloucester, va 23061
from what i have read ,, 100% change in a week is normal with drip systems.. i havent been looking lately but i plan
on setting mine up for 50 gal a day drip everyday or 100gal drip every other day on a timer... still havent decided yet.
that will be when i build my 300gal tank. since you are doing a slow drip, the bacteria still can grow in your filter.

JK47

Retired MFK Admin
MFK Member
Aug 4, 2008
Washington
Its not about the GPH and the tank size as much as nitrate levels and stock vs tank size. Get the level where you are happy and be done. For moderate stock in a 360g I would be at 4 GPH personally. But testing after setting up your drip will tell you what you should be at. I have some tanks at 12 GPH due tl stock levels.

piranhaman00

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Sep 15, 2009
Wisconsin
Its not about the GPH and the tank size as much as nitrate levels and stock vs tank size. Get the level where you are happy and be done. For moderate stock in a 360g I would be at 4 GPH personally. But testing after setting up your drip will tell you what you should be at. I have some tanks at 12 GPH due tl stock levels.
Man that's an insane amount of water.

Awesome tank OP.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

flukekiller

Piranha
MFK Member
Aug 2, 2014
gloucester, va 23061
+1 the biggest thing to look at is fish waste.

bigphil001

Exodon
MFK Member
Jan 29, 2013
Lake in The Hills IL
Thanks for all the advice.

I will try 4 gph for one week. And monitor my nitrate levels.

How can I tell if I am changing too much? If my nitrate level goes to zero?

Is it dangerous to change too much water?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store