Pacific Giant Octopus (Enteroctopus dofleini)

nancyw

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 12, 2011
moncton
Maybe kind of an odd question but is it possible to keep one in a home aquarium/tank and if so is there any availability anywhere?

Oddball

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MFK Member
Apr 27, 2005
Bama
I've seen giant octis in public aquaria with total replacement water filtration/circulation. In a home aquarium, the species would require massive and frequent water changes due to the messy nature of their feeding habits. The tank would need a sizeable cooling system as well as a locking cover since even a small 1 pound octopus can lift a 40 pound lid.
To get one, you'd have to either catch it yourself, hire someone to catch it, or test your luck in checking returning fishing boat catches between Seattle Harbor, along the Strait of Juan de Fuca, and through Coho to the Pacific. The last option may prove easier if you posted a reward for a live specimen in local circulars/bait shops/etc.

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
I remember that episode with Morgan but I either forgot or didn't hear them say what type the octopus was.I assumed it was one of the more readily available species like an Atlantic.I've had a few of those in the past,awesome pet.

reptilerescued

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 19, 2014
nepa
They are very abundant in the Puget sound.
There was one in the underwater park called Oscar he had a 8 foot spread.

Lots of little guys swimming around too.

I wouldn't keep one though due to the size they get and they are very tempermental.
I've been "inked" more then once by the little ones. Oscar would just turn purple if you got to close, that was the signal to back off.

Chicxulub

Hand of the King
Administrator
Aug 29, 2009
I crash at the K-Pg
If you're interested in cephalopods, octopuses in particular, there are INFINITELY better options than a GPO.

Consider Abdopus aculeatus, Octopus briareus and Octopus bimaculatus; all of which are readily available in the hobby, harmless, active during the day and interactive pets.

And best of all, all of them could be kept in a tank as small as a 65 for life. I've kept an A. aculeatus before, wonderful animal.

For more info, check out www.tonmo.com.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
TONMO is a great site.Its been a few years since I've been active but there even used to be cuttlefish breeders on there.

Ponera

Candiru
MFK Member
Nov 2, 2012
Calgary, Alberta
Cephalopods in captivity have really mixed results. Nautilus, for example, lay down stress shell and then die prematurely. Octopi are dependent on species. In the case of pacific reds, you're talking about a potential to be rather large. Many octopi are celebrated escape artists and require very specific equipment like a locked down and sealed tank.

Aw3s0m3

Piranha
MFK Member
May 6, 2012
Over there
I agree with Rob that giant pacifics aren't the best to start off with. Bimacs are by far the best for beginners IMO. All they need is a 55, no heater. The colder the better. The only pain is really keeping them in the tank so any hob filter or even an overflow will be a no no unless you heavily mesh the overflow to prevent escape. Cuttlefish are definitely another option cuz they're extremely fun to watch and easy to breed so with a pair you can easily keep cuttlefish forever and the best part is that they won't try to escape. I love watching them shoot out their tentacles to catch prey.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
Cephalopods in captivity have really mixed results. Nautilus, for example, lay down stress shell and then die prematurely. Octopi are dependent on species. In the case of pacific reds, you're talking about a potential to be rather large. Many octopi are celebrated escape artists and require very specific equipment like a locked down and sealed tank.
As awesome a pet I can imagine a chambered nautilus might be,they don't have a very good track record of living very long in aquariums,probably due to where they live and how they are collected and brought in to the hobby.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store