My first triple digit tank! (100g)

lardieleftover

Candiru
MFK Member
Jan 9, 2014
san diego
Hey all, I have finally got my first big tank (in my thoughts.. for now) set up and filled with water today. This 5ft glass tank is to replace my cracking and unsightly 75g tall acrylic tank.
I li ked the 100, stand and canopy off craigslist which was convenient.
Here it is from the beginning.
uploadfromtaptalk1408322519653.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1408322519653.jpg
I sanded the railing like wood of the stand and doors because the playwood was covered with some sort of plastic that was in good condition still.
uploadfromtaptalk1408322638842.jpg
Plasti dip on the back, took two cans. But looks amazing.
uploadfromtaptalk1408322682913.jpg
Stand on its back after 2 or three coats of paint/primer black satin to match the rest of the stand, came out great after sanding lightly with 320grit betwen coats to valence out not sanding all of the old paint and varnish underneath that.
uploadfromtaptalk1408322878679.jpg
This is the plywood canopy that definitely needed some tlc, the old paint was flaking off and not built very well. I strengthened the inside of it along each corners with triangles cut out of 2x4. There were plywood doors on the outside of the canopy that I really did not like so I ripped those off and cut 2 new ones out of the like mdf fiberboard from some old Ikea furniture that's like sealed in plastic almost, sanded it down to make it rough for the exterior paint and primer by valspar that I also used inside the canopy as well as inside the stand to brighten it up and seal it nicely.

uploadfromtaptalk1408322548224.jpg

lardieleftover

Candiru
MFK Member
Jan 9, 2014
san diego
I guess I posted same picture twice, that was odd. Oh well.
This tank is being setup for my lonely Senegal bichir who is only 6 inches right now, was stunted at the petsmart by an employee who wanted to "save her for a friend." But soon to be home to 2 or 3 ropefish and some other upper jaw polys if I can snag some from jurrasic aquatics since I'm in san Diego not far away. uploadfromtaptalk1408323273734.jpg
Here is the canopy before black paint, new doors installed. Not tf2 he best, will for sure build my own next time.
uploadfromtaptalk1408323334857.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1408323347140.jpg
Above is a price of manzanita that I purchased from somewhere like manzanita direct or something online, very impressed with the results (might just scavange for my own large price next tank) :D
This is just gonna be my update log for the tank ove rthe next few months as I stock it and move before end of year. Thanks, all input appreciated, I plan ok n getting some java moss to fill out some areas and more of these grano diorite rocks.

lardieleftover

Candiru
MFK Member
Jan 9, 2014
san diego
I have a sunsun 450 gph(I think? Ovation 1000) submersible filter running some fluval charcoal and plastic ring mix in a bag with a filter sponge,
A 9w uv sterilized don't remember the brand, works okay.
And a new sunsun 4 sunsun canister with 13w uh bulb that I will most likely have the return line act as the surface agitator. I know these arnt top of the line components, but they're gonna do the job for me. If they fail, I'll get new stuff again.

Sent from my HTC One X using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store