Pair of Congo tiger fish in a 185 gallon 60 1/2 long X 30 1/2 wide X 25 tall. 1 died!

Yonkers Preditors

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 17, 2014
Yonkers
Hello everyone:

I am new here and I would like to greet all my fellow Monster Fish Keepers. I just recently purchased a custom 3/4 inch glass 185 gallon tank and put two Goliath Congo Tiger fish in it. Unfortunately one just past away. I inspected the dead tiger fish and it appears that he didn't have any war scars, diseased skin or any visual defects. Can anyone tell me how did this happen?

i spoke to someone from a local aquarium and they told me that perhaps it's mate stressed it to death. Could this be true? Is my tank to small to house two tiger fish even though they are only 4inches? I read some where that these fish require a minimum of 638 gallons per fish... Can some help me please?.:cry::cry::cry:

Yonkers Preditors

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 17, 2014
Yonkers
Thanks Mustardtiger101. Do you suggest I buy another one or do you think two cant live together in this size tank??? I searched YouTube looking for videos of a pair of mature Congo tigers and could not find any. Although I did find other pairs of mature species living together like vampire payara.

MarineMike

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 31, 2014
Southern California
More than likely got spooked and reamed into the glass as mustard Tiger mentioned. With nothing in the tank these fish have a hard time recognizing the tanks boundaries and will run into the glass at full speed injuring or killing themselves in the process. Do a search on this site or even Google to see what others do to prevent this from happening as well as other things to do to keep these fish happy and healthy. Good luck

Mustardtiger101

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Aug 1, 2013
Canada
Thanks Mustardtiger101. Do you suggest I buy another one or do you think two cant live together in this size tank??? I searched YouTube looking for videos of a pair of mature Congo tigers and could not find any. Although I did find other pairs of mature species living together like vampire payara.
You are not going to be able to keep any of them in that tank for life. Goliath's need a minimum 8x4 footprint. It will be fine for a growout tank though. You're best bet would be to take a look at the ATF care thread. http://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/f...and-ID-of-African-Tiger-Fish-(Hydrocynus)-2-2

Sent from my iPad using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

MHDevelopments

Polypterus
MFK Member
May 13, 2014
Suffolk
www.m-h-developments.co.uk
Black the back and the sides if you can bare the look. Get some substrate.
Add some dense planting to the sides, plastic is fine, or even bog wood covering most of the side panels. Up the flow from both ends. Creating physical SOFT boundaries at the side panels will protect the fish from slamming into the sides. Remember you have a juvenile fish, predatory or not, young fish don't tend to hang out in barren open water, simulated by a bare tank.
Avoid lighting, it doesn't benefit the fish in any way

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Reactions: Chicxulub

ricmcc

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 9, 2013
Orillia, Ontario, Canada
I really don't know if this is even possible, but could you have inadvertently stressed the fish by using a tank far too large for their current needs?
I know that my fish always seem to have benefitted (to the best of my knowledge, in that they stayed healthy and I believe that this helped) by using a succession of grow out tanks.
Easier to find food, cover never too far away, etc.
All the best, rick

Sorry, I am new to this site, and didn't see the posts after yours but above mine.
Just out of curiousity, how many years are we talking about that fish going from 4 inches to too small for your current tank?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store