Bucktoothed tetras actualy that agressive?

Tone123

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 19, 2013
Canada
Two weeks ago I got 12 of these guys for my 55 gallon long and they don't put on much of a feeding craze as many sources say. When I put food in the tank they carefully go over and only a few take food. I was wondering if there is any way to get them to be more crazy. The tank is heavy planted with lots of cover and they are by them selves so I see no reason that they would feel insecure.

joe5639

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jul 1, 2014
Albuquerque, NM
i don't know too much about the small characin species but i do know that starving them will get them a bit more crazy. my payara used to wait 5 minutes before hitting a feeder and i starved him for a week(to try to get him on frozen foods)and dropped in a feeder and he immediately grabbed it

Quad

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 11, 2010
Albuquerque, NM
In my experience, Exodons will eat (or not eat) just as you describe when they ares overly stressed. What is your filtration like? If the water quality is not up to their liking, then they will get stressed and stop eating, which exodons are messy eaters, and you always need a lot of filtration for an exodon tank.
Your tank is definitely not overstocked. How large are your exodons? It could be that your tanks is under-stocked. I'd recommend about 18 full sized exodons for a 55 gallon tank.

West1

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Sep 27, 2007
Im guessing you have babies, 1-2" exodons. Just do a youtube search and see for yourself.
Also, they are best in a big school, like 15-20 pcs min. Give the young ins time to get comfy, they will beast it up soon

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store