Can't seem to get this to work

Smithmode

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 11, 2014
Washington
So I'm not sure what is wrong with my tank.

125 gallons
3 HOB filters(2aquaclear 110s, emperor 400)

lighting is just the normal bulb that came with my two 3 foot sections.(1 bulb each)
right now I have 5 or so plants in the tank. No C02 wanted to go without it. I have had an issue of my plants growing algae on them and the plants not growing. My swords are basically gone an pd my anubias are getting algae/holes/turning yellow. I'm not sure what I can do to fix this problem. I'm going to buy some algae killer and dip my plants.

do I need more plants?
do I need C02?
is my lighting not enough?

any help is greatly appreciated and thanks in advance.

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
Most off the shelf, stock aquarium lights and bulbs are made to see fish, but usually not enough to grow plants in a deep tank, as your 125 may be.
The low light they produce is often perfect though, for certain types of algae.
Most important item on your list, would be proper, intense plant bulbs, unless you stock with low light plants such as java fern, or crypts.
Even then, heavy planting at the start will allow the plants to properly compete with algae. Better to over plant, than underplant.

brich999

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 3, 2010
New Hampshire
As said the single bulb usits that came with it arent made to grow plants. The spectrum is probably not great on the bulbs and they probably just dont have the power needed. Co2 is not needed unless you are running high light and want difficult plants

Smithmode

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 11, 2014
Washington
Alright so do I need to replace my light system or just the bulbs? My tank is next to the back slider door to so it gets some daylight

any suggestions on where to get some lights as well with spending the least amount of money would be great

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
If you know someone that keeps a reef tank, ask for their cast offs.
Bulbs for corals last about 6 months, then reef keepers usually replace them.
But they still have plenty enough light and life for freshwater plants, this is what I do.

xxUnRaTeDxxRkOxx

Candiru
MFK Member
Jul 10, 2011
Denver, CO.
Plants need a source of carbon period, carbon whether via co2 or something like excel is essential for ALL plants.

Carbon is used in healthy growth of plants, The amount of carbon dioxide in aquarium water tends to be quite low, and this places a restraint on the rate at which plants can photosynthesis. By adding extra carbon dioxide aquarists can reduce this restriction and thereby allow plants to photosynthesize more quickly. The quicker plants photosynthesize, the more sugar and oxygen they produce, and the faster they will grow.

If you're having problems growing plants, start by analyzing the conditions in the aquarium and the plants you're trying to grow. There's a good chance that you simply have the wrong set of conditions present in your aquarium. Assuming that your aquarium is offering at least moderately good lighting, there's every chance that swapping the failing plant species for ones better suited to your aquarium will lead to better results.

Carbon dioxide is needed to build carbohydrates for photosynthesis...

Smithmode

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 11, 2014
Washington
Plants need a source of carbon period, carbon whether via co2 or something like excel is essential for ALL plants.

Carbon is used in healthy growth of plants, The amount of carbon dioxide in aquarium water tends to be quite low, and this places a restraint on the rate at which plants can photosynthesis. By adding extra carbon dioxide aquarists can reduce this restriction and thereby allow plants to photosynthesize more quickly. The quicker plants photosynthesize, the more sugar and oxygen they produce, and the faster they will grow.

If you're having problems growing plants, start by analyzing the conditions in the aquarium and the plants you're trying to grow. There's a good chance that you simply have the wrong set of conditions present in your aquarium. Assuming that your aquarium is offering at least moderately good lighting, there's every chance that swapping the failing plant species for ones better suited to your aquarium will lead to better results.

Im not so much concerned about growing speed of the plants but more keeping them green and healthy which I have read and seen multiple times I can do,without C02. So I'll focus on lighting for now.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store