Emperor 400 filter wish I bought aquaclear

orionxtr

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 10, 2010
erie pa
Really hate the emperor filter it's noisy and the pads are a lot to buy I pay like 12 for 4 of them I have 3 400 filters and I have to replace the impeller like every year I have a ac70 that is like 4 years old it runs like a champ and the replacement pad is only like 1 dollar
Sent from my HTCONE using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
Hahaha good rant.Ive used both but only smaller Aqua-clear filters.Although they can be PITAs I've used Emperors on my medium sized tanks for years.

ehh

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 30, 2013
New Mexico
Just don't buy those pads. When I had mine i just tossed a few bags if bio max and wadded up some filter floss. Worked totally fine. It was louder than I wanted though haha

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
I've never noticed how loud they are since all my tanks are in my basement and there is already an orchestra of splashing and trickling water going on.

ecoli73

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 15, 2010
Sunnyvale, CA
I never bought those pads; just fill the slots up with bio filtration material and you are good to go. As far as noise is concerned; raise your water line and most of your noise will go away, though I would not put a tank in the bedroom.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

fatdoggy89

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 19, 2009
New York
They are kinda loud, but as others have said definitely don't buy emperors filter pads... I bought cheap universal cut your own pads and just shoved em in along with my own media in the media baskets... as far as replacing the impeller ive had mine running for 5 years with no issues.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store