supporting centerbrace on stand?

mudbuttjones

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jul 29, 2014
Wisconsin
I have a brand new AGA 90g reef ready tank.I built the stand my self. IvI've ran into some sizing issues. The tank is about .25" bigger length and width wise than I had anticipated.

Long story short - the stand has a solid 3/4" plywood top. Im going to build a square frame out of 1x4's to sit on the top of the stand and help keep the less than 1/8th" of overhang supported by wood. Im adding some more trim around the stand so there will be no issues with anything hanging off the stand.

Is it ok for the plastic centerbrace to be suspended in the air? The same it would be if the stand had an open top.

bbortko

Polypterus
MFK Member
Mar 3, 2010
Northwest, Indiana
Not sure I follow. If you're asking if the center brace which supports the lids doesn't have lids to support, will it be ok? Yes it will be fine.

mudbuttjones

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jul 29, 2014
Wisconsin
Im talking about the center brace on the bottom of the tank. Its not recessed like my other tanks with braces.

Sorry for being unclear

bbortko

Polypterus
MFK Member
Mar 3, 2010
Northwest, Indiana
I wouldn't worry since most frames aren't flush like yours. If you tried to support the center and were a little too high I can see it being worse than if it where unsupported, if you're too low its the same as un supported. You can try the manufacturers site to see how there stands are constructed, most are opened on top.

sabmakj21

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jan 2, 2014
Hawaii
Hey fifi I think you're lost bro.

Most standard stands support the frame of the tank all around. This helps distribute the weight evenly. Even if you have plywood under your tank, if it doesn't touch the tank frame evenly, then it's not doing the job. If you're worried that the center brace underneath needs to be supported, then do it. I probably would. Check with the tank manufacturer about that or find out if there is a matching stand for that tank and see how that is built. That might help solve your worries.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

mudbuttjones

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jul 29, 2014
Wisconsin
I looked at the aqueon stands, none have a center support. The ones that do have it lower than the rim so it cannot contact the center brace.

The tank just threw me off since normally the centerbrace is not flush with the rest of the tank's trim.

View attachment 1032556

I have no doubts with this now. 100% level all around the tank. There are no gaps. I put 25 gallons in the tank and could not slip a feeler guage under the trim.

Sent from my SCH-R950 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store