Salt water questions

rajatariqmustafa15

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Mar 18, 2014
Pakistan
Guys hi I have been keeping fih for a long time but all of them are freshwater what I wanted to ask you u is that I want to convert to a saltwater aquarium, is there any way I can make salt water as we don't get it here. And no live sand, would normal gravel work, I just want to keep a few clown fish but the thing we do get live rock but no sand. Can you tell me how to make saltwater
and would normal gravel work

rajatariqmustafa15

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Mar 18, 2014
Pakistan
Guys so basically I was talking about this gravel, it's known a silaica sand will this work instead of live sand we don't have that here and the stones I was talking about was out of the ocean but was definitely from the ocean, coral or rock I don't know so much, sorry will sponge filters work?

muttley000

Gambusia
MFK Member
Nov 24, 2011
West Unity, OH
You can go bare bottom without problems. I don't think the silica sand would hurt, but a marine substrate helps buffer the water for stable PH.

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
If you can get live rock, there are many creatures that come along with the rock, that will overtime, also transfer to the sand, even if is not live sand to begin with.
May take a little time though.

rajatariqmustafa15

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Mar 18, 2014
Pakistan
If you can get live rock, there are many creatures that come along with the rock, that will overtime, also transfer to the sand, even if is not live sand to begin with.
May take a little time though.
Live sand and rock I can arrange but I'm going to ask you again will sponge filters work

Deubie Doo

Gambusia
MFK Member
Mar 18, 2012
Rootstown, Ohio
www.facebook.com
I run a spounge filter on my smaller saltwater tank with a airpump. I even use a large HOB filter to help the skimmer out on my larger tank. BUT... Make sure you clean it weekly. People use skimmers instead of normal filters because the fish waist get in there and is in contact with the water but a skimmer removes it compleately out of the tank. But I also wouldn't worry about getting a skimmer unless you have 55g or larger. You can use that sand or even lows playsand. Any substraight you use will turn alive over time. The main reason people get live sand is because it kick starts the bacteria faster. I used 2 bags of live sand and 3or 4 bags of normal sand for my 125. With the rock, I'll help with filtration and Bactria, I would get it off Live Aquaria online in balk. It's cheaper getting it that way than getting it from the lps. And for salt, I would get off amazon.com and tips and other questions you might find on YouTube and give you a good idea on what your looking at. Just look up saltwater aquariums for bringers.

rajatariqmustafa15

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Mar 18, 2014
Pakistan
I run a spounge filter on my smaller saltwater tank with a airpump. I even use a large HOB filter to help the skimmer out on my larger tank. BUT... Make sure you clean it weekly. People use skimmers instead of normal filters because the fish waist get in there and is in contact with the water but a skimmer removes it compleately out of the tank. But I also wouldn't worry about getting a skimmer unless you have 55g or larger. You can use that sand or even lows playsand. Any substraight you use will turn alive over time. The main reason people get live sand is because it kick starts the bacteria faster. I used 2 bags of live sand and 3or 4 bags of normal sand for my 125. With the rock, I'll help with filtration and Bactria, I would get it off Live Aquaria online in balk. It's cheaper getting it that way than getting it from the lps. And for salt, I would get off amazon.com and tips and other questions you might find on YouTube and give you a good idea on what your looking at. Just look up saltwater aquariums for bringers.
Thanks for the info really helped, how can I make saltwater myself, I meAn we don't get ocean water here

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store