What to expect from the amazing L25?

mikiel

Gambusia
MFK Member
Mar 7, 2014
Burbank, CA
I just ordered my L25 today and it should be here tomorrow or Wednesday depending on if they can still get it on today's truck out. I have owned many pleco's but considering the price of these guys I want to make sure I do things correctly. What advice do you have for acclimation and introductory feeding? I have discus so I feed a wide variety of foods that I can feed from pellets to fresh.

Is there anything else I should know? Any info is appreciated.

cjfrontlovr

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Feb 10, 2006
denver,nc..
I found out the hard way that they are jumpers!

mrtoofay

Candiru
MFK Member
Aug 28, 2012
california
As with all other fish from an unknown source, quarantine them. It's good for your discus and good for your L25. It's always good practice to de-worm any wild caught pleco when you first get them. Almost all wild plecos have worms, some vendors will de-worm them (like unungy) some will simply keep them alive long enough to pass on to customers. Get some live blackworms handy, or make sure you have a good source for them. If they come in in bad shape, many sick L25s will only eat live blackworms.

Once the L25 goes through the quarantine process and is de-wormed, they are as hardy as most plecos out there.

mikiel

Gambusia
MFK Member
Mar 7, 2014
Burbank, CA
As with all other fish from an unknown source, quarantine them. It's good for your discus and good for your L25. It's always good practice to de-worm any wild caught pleco when you first get them. Almost all wild plecos have worms, some vendors will de-worm them (like unungy) some will simply keep them alive long enough to pass on to customers. Get some live blackworms handy, or make sure you have a good source for them. If they come in in bad shape, many sick L25s will only eat live blackworms.

Once the L25 goes through the quarantine process and is de-wormed, they are as hardy as most plecos out there.
This is definitely not a problem I always keep a QT tank set up. Having discus it's a must. It's good to know about the de-wormer. I never thought about that being that they are wild as I usually keep captive bred discus. Would you have a specific de-wormer that you suggest? I did get it from a reputable seller but again always better to be safe than sorry.

Thanks for the advice I will make sure to put it into practice starting tomorrow.

Rotaryp04s

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Aug 11, 2011
Most people do alittle to much for a new pleco or any other fish (like checking on it every 15mins) and end up just stressing it out more and things turn for the worst. Just make sure it fine in the QT tank or main tank and let it be, make sure it has food and it eating other than that it super shy but hardy once you get it pass the danger period(first month) black worms is a great source on protein to fatten it up quick(if it come in skinny) also most pleco will not turn down black worms.

mikiel

Gambusia
MFK Member
Mar 7, 2014
Burbank, CA
Most people do alittle to much for a new pleco or any other fish (like checking on it every 15mins) and end up just stressing it out more and things turn for the worst. Just make sure it fine in the QT tank or main tank and let it be, make sure it has food and it eating other than that it super shy but hardy once you get it pass the danger period(first month) black worms is a great source on protein to fatten it up quick(if it come in skinny) also most pleco will not turn down black worms.
Thanks I do have a local live blackworm seller so those are easy to obtain. It's good to know that I should just make sure it has clean water and food. Other than that I will leave it alone and let it settle in.

Thanks again!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store