Pothos Plants vs bioballs

qguy

Piranha
MFK Member
Nov 10, 2009
Vancouver. Canada
Got some extra space in the filter and wondering what would be better Pothos plants or submerge bioballs, the extra space can not be used as a wet dry filter.

Thanks

convict360

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 9, 2013
Scotland
Id say pothos, if your existing filtration produces nitrates, then there is no real need for any more bioballs, whereas pothos will reduce nitrates

Sent from my Nexus 5 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

golcondorus

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 22, 2006
Oregon
I agree, I had pothos in my filters for a while and my nitrates never got above 5. It works really well unless you are growing plants in the aquarium, then the pothos will outcompete them

Sent from my iPad using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

qguy

Piranha
MFK Member
Nov 10, 2009
Vancouver. Canada
I do not have plants in the tank, so definitely nitrates is present. Thanks will add pothos to the tank, it should also help inhibit algae growing in the glass

professor_rob

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jun 26, 2010
Brisbane, Australia
Not sure of your setup, but you may need a little light/lamp to help the pothos grow. They are a low light plant so doesn't have to be same brightness as tank lighting. So that is something else to take into consideration.

Ignore if you already knew that.

Also I would go for pothos too.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

rodger

Polypterus
MFK Member
Apr 29, 2008
Kansas City
I agree with Oddball, except I think he is a little conservative. If you have time to do two 15% water changes, up it to two 30 or 40% water changes. Your fish will appreciate it. The pothos is still a good idea. If you get a little ambiant light in the room you shouldn't need any added light.

xraycer

Arapaima
MFK Member
Sep 5, 2013
Southern NH USA
If your doing 30 to 40 percent water change a week, does'nt that negate the need for biological filtration ?
Yes, if you were talking a single betta as the only inhabitant in a 100gal tank. I personally do a 50% w/c twice a week to all my tanks

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store