How do i keep nitrates under control in my tank (180g)

Jayfish7

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Apr 12, 2014
New York
Hi,

what is the best way to keep nitrates under control in my large SA tank..

i have reduced feeding, do 30% WC every week and have suitable filtratian. however the nitrates still get high (40/50ppm)

is there a good media to use in 1 of my filters? or should i use plants? (if so, which?)

thanks for the help!

bbortko

Polypterus
MFK Member
Mar 3, 2010
Northwest, Indiana
Plants and bigger water changes. Pothos with roots in the water works great. I have Amazon swords, green tiger lotus, onion plant an anubias in my mostly sa tank.

PDRed302

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Aug 4, 2011
Fort Worth Texas
Wouldn't expect any media to cut down the nitrate count, water changes and plants are the way to go. Pothos is super cheap and does a hell of a job cutting down nitrates.

ragin_cajun

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2013
South Louisiana
If your fish raise Nitrate levels from 0 to 30 ppm every week.....you do a 30% water change..,you've reduced the nitrate concentration by a little less than a third--from 30 ppm down to 20 ppm. So the second week, you start at 20 and rise to 50 ppm. Your WC gets it down to 34 ppm. End of week 3, you're at 64 ppm and you lower it to 40. And on and on. Nitrates keep climbing every week. You need to do bigger water changes. I do fin level water change every week, sometimes twice a week. But I've got fish that aren't bothered by that--Vieja, JD, Clown Loaches.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
I do 20% to 30% water changes every day in spring, summer and early fall (every other day in winter), I also use planted sumps, and refugiums with papyrus and pothos. My nitrate level usually averages 2-5ppm.

suprd71

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Nov 27, 2012
North Bay Ontario Canada
Plants do consume nitrate, but for overall fish well being, water changes are best. There are more elements besides nitrate in the water column that should be removed. I do twice weekly large changes, regardless of parameters. Nothing but benefit for the fish.

xraycer

Arapaima
MFK Member
Sep 5, 2013
Southern NH USA
2 50% water changes a week and a good gravel vac will fix it.
This is what I do......and the more often you clean the filters, the better. All that trapped gunk adds up to increase in nitrate

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store